Why become a member? ×

I need a case/rack/thing for my EBS head

isteen

A rack case is what you need for a Fafner. I'm pretty sure its a 3u one. I use a Gator rack bag like this for my TD650 because i find they're a bit more car interior friendly than the ABS style cases.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gator-3U-Rack-Bag-Construction/dp/B0002D020S/ref=sr_1_1?crid=BDEBTAO3ARI7&keywords=gator+3u+rack+bag&qid=1567715355&s=gateway&sprefix=gator+3u%2Caps%2C247&sr=8-1

Edited by Mudpup
  • Thanks 1

You want to be looking for a rack case, but they come in various guises and prices.

A good place to start looking would be Gator type moulded plastic cases. The 2U/3U etc refers to the height required. The other consideration is the depth (front to back).

EDIT - Doh! not quick enough. What @Mudpup said 😁

Edited by Deedee
  • Thanks 1

From experience of owning a Fafner (mk I): 

Even though it is only a 3U head, EBS recommend using a 4U rack case. This is on account that the fan is located on the side and there is the risk that there is not enough space in a 3U to give the fan enough space to be effective. A 3U rack might be okay, but I have never wanted to take the risk. 

You can always contact EBS directly, I'm sure that they would be able to confirm. 

I ended up getting an EBS 4U rack which is fine, but being wooden it is much heavier than a Gator equivalent.  

Edited by thodrik
Typo errors, wrote before first coffee
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, thodrik said:

From experience of owning a Fafner (mk I): 

Even though it is only a 3U head, EBS recommend using a 4U rack case. This is on account that the fan is located on the side and if there is the risk that there is not enough space in a 3U to give the fan enough space to be effective. A 3U rack might be okay, but I have never wanted to take the risk. 

You can always contact EBS directly, I'm sure that they would be able to confirm. 

I ended up getting an EBS 4U rack which is fine, but being wooden it is much heavier than a Gator equivalent.  

Thank you for clearing that up completely

• Like 1

I've owned a string of rack-mountable equipment and I've never put any of them in a case larger than themselves. They've all been fine.

In my opinion, if a rack amp will be killed by being in a case its own size then it needs to die.
What kind of appalling design work would that be?!

As a horrible example, I give you: the GK MB500 - they sell rack ears for it so you can rack-mount it, but its limiter switch is ON THE TOP!
I really hope they fired whoever made that design decision.

If I may share two things I've learned.

1. Anything shorter than 4u doesn't stand on its side very well, leading to problems when carrying. I know your amp is only 3u high and needs ventilation but unless the vents are right at the front you can put something really shallow on top. Wireless unit maybe?

2. The Gator short cases are amazing.

I have my Fafner in a 4U Gator case, it's a shallower version at 311mm internal depth and fits really well.

I put a vent on the top and one in the handle on the side where the fan draws air into the amp as there was not a lot of room between it and the case wall, it works well and I think it looks cool! However I didn't have any problem with it before I did this or with the old SKB case that it was in when I got it.

20190915_133838.jpg

20190915_133848.jpg