Why become a member? ×

Behringer BDI-21 vs generic power supply

EliasMooseblaster

I've just (finally) invested in a fairly generic power supply for my pedals, as my BDI-21 seems to be a bit of a battery gobbler. I connected everything up to find that the 4-way power unit worked fine with all my pedals...except, ironically enough, the BDI-21. Are there any known idiosyncrasies to this pedal's DC socket, or do I need to pop it open and check for a loose wire?

- the polarity is correct (centre-negative, same as my other pedals)

- it's definitely not over the current limit

- another Behringer pedal worked without complaint.

The BDI works fine on battery power, but when I connect the DC, it goes completely dead - no status light, no sound, nothing. Anyone else seen this?

Edited by EliasMooseblaster

10 hours ago, tauzero said:

I've encountered this on one or two Behringer effects - IIRC there's a protection diode on the DC socket to prevent reverse voltage being applied to it and that can fail.

Aha, that might do the trick! I popped the back off yesterday, but I couldn't see anything that was obviously loose or damaged - I guess the drawback to PCBs is that it's often difficult to tell if a component's simply conked out. Do you happen to know whether said diode is accessible and/or easily replaceable?

(Though to be honest, I'm leaning more to the idea of moving it on with the caveat of the faulty DC-in...)

FWIW my guitarist had the guitar version of this and exactly the same thing happens. It sits on his board largely unused because he normally uses his own amp, we get to a supplied backline gig where he doesn't like the amp, decideds to use his pedal instead and nothing. Same method of failure you describe.

He didn't fix it, they're <£15 on ebay. Hell, they're about that new.

• 3 years later...