Why become a member? ×

Source Audio Spectrum Intelligent Filter

fretmeister

15 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Lots of new Spectrum presets posted a few days ago. 

You’ve outdone yourself once again @Quatschmacher with the latest batch of patches. I’m especially loving the Twins suite of filters.

Recreating the Aguilar Twin pedal on my C4 has been on my to do list for a while. I knew both the C4 and Spectrum were capable of it and you nailed the sound. 

Thanks again for your stellar work with these patches. 

2 hours ago, HoorayForAnonyms said:

You’ve outdone yourself once again @Quatschmacher with the latest batch of patches. I’m especially loving the Twins suite of filters.

Recreating the Aguilar Twin pedal on my C4 has been on my to do list for a while. I knew both the C4 and Spectrum were capable of it and you nailed the sound. 

Thanks. To be honest, I wasn’t deliberately gunning for the Aguilar sound and it’s been over two years since I had one so it’s a distant memory. Two things that bugged me about that pedal is that there was no resonance control and it was not possible to set individual speeds or depths for the two sides. The Spectrum solves all those problems. 

3 hours ago, HoorayForAnonyms said:

Oh, and if you do enjoy them, please remember to hit the like button next to each one as it gives me good feedback as to what sort of stuff users are interested in. Having said that, I do try to just try stuff out and see where things take me; sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. 

• 2 weeks later...
A Talkbass member has kindly lent me his 3 LEAF AUDIO Chromatron. Been wanting to try one for ages as I used to own a Wonderlove and it was great for putting octave and fuzz in the loop to create synth-like sounds. The Chromatron is even better I feel, as it works much better as a stand-alone envelope-controlled filter than the Wonderlove did.

I put my EMMA electronic Okto Nøjs in the loop and dialled in the following sound:

The owner asked if I could replicate this on the Source Audio C4. I’ve had a crack and got in the ballpark and have shared the presets on my Neuro feed:

Hope you enjoy them.

I’ll port these onto the Spectrum too, though they won’t be exactly the same. The octave distortions in the Okto Nøjs are slightly gated and I have achieved this on the C4 by assigning an amp envelope to those voices and using the envelope’s gate control; the Spectrum doesn’t have the ability to assign an envelope to the voices so the patches will be a little noisier. 
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hello everyone, lovely to be here. I'm Stew and I'm a filterholic.

I have just become a member of the Spectrum club. 

Oh my goodness. What a piece of kit. Hats off to Source Audio. So simply intuitive to use and the computer software is a doddle. 

Very happy with my purchase and I strongly suspect that you will be seeing at least one filter up for sale very soon. 

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Ladies and gentlemen of the forum. I want a Pigtronix Bass Envelope Phaser. I can't find one but I have a Spectrum. 

So, I'm hoping for any clues how to achieve the Pigtronix effect with the Spectrum. 

All help gratefully accepted. 

50 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Ladies and gentlemen of the forum. I want a Pigtronix Bass Envelope Phaser. I can't find one but I have a Spectrum. 

So, I'm hoping for any clues how to achieve the Pigtronix effect with the Spectrum. 

All help gratefully accepted. 

Download the EP (envelope phaser) patches that one user painstakingly recreated from his Pigtronix pedal.

https://neuro.sourceaudio.net/?search=Pigtronix

Edited by Quatschmacher

Hi all,

Question for those of you who have had hands on this...

Is it possible to use the Spectrum as a sweepable Low Pass Filter (adjusting the LPF cut-off frequency with the expression input). I've heard multiple clips of it tone shaping in the style of the Moog MF-101, but I'my eat to hear a demo of anyone using it for expression sweeps, like it commonly associated with the Moog LPF.

Can anyone comment on the functionality of that aspect, and most importantly, the tone?

Thanks.

I just had a go at doing this because I was curious. Short answer is yes.

Long answer - kinda. What you really want is to turn the envelope follower off, and modulate the filter freq with the exp pedal instead. Frustratingly, you can't actually turn the envelope follower off (unless I'm mistaken...?). However, if you turn the sensitivity and speed all the way to minimum, it's basically the same thing.

As for tone, the world is your oyster. There are dozens of filters to choose from, many of them LPF variants, and you can have two running in parallel if you want.

Step 2 is to choose whatever envelope response profile you want. Again, many to choose from, but in your case you want a profile that has very little effect when the speed and sensitivity are set to minimum (because you are manipulating the filter freq with the expression pedal instead).

However, you can create some very cool effects by leaving a small amount of envelope response in there, so that you have your LPF sweep controlled by the expression pedal and a subtle envelope thing going on at the same time!

7 hours ago, pantherairsoft said:

Hi all,

Question for those of you who have had hands on this...

Is it possible to use the Spectrum as a sweepable Low Pass Filter (adjusting the LPF cut-off frequency with the expression input). I've heard multiple clips of it tone shaping in the style of the Moog MF-101, but I'my eat to hear a demo of anyone using it for expression sweeps, like it commonly associated with the Moog LPF.

Can anyone comment on the functionality of that aspect, and most importantly, the tone?

Thanks.

Yes you can but the cutoff caps at 6KHz so you don’t get a full-spectrum sweep. Ironically the EQ2 works better for this as it’s just had a lowpass option added and the frequency range is 20Hz-20KHz.

5 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Yes you can but the cutoff caps at 6KHz so you don’t get a full-spectrum sweep. Ironically the EQ2 works better for this as it’s just had a lowpass option added and the frequency range is 20Hz-20KHz.

That’s interesting! However, I’m assuming the EQ2’s LPF isn’t resonant/have an resonance control?

2 minutes ago, pantherairsoft said:

That’s interesting! However, I’m assuming the EQ2’s LPF isn’t resonant/have an resonance control?

Yes, it’s resonant.  It’s got a very big peak on maximum. 

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Quatschmacher said:

Yes, it’s resonant.  It’s got a very big peak on maximum. 

Now I’m very interested. As the EQ2 can replace my tuner as well - extra pedalboard space!

Have you seen a video/sound clip of it functioning in this manner anywhere? Would love to hear it with some fuzz and octave before it before taking a punt!

6 minutes ago, pantherairsoft said:

Now I’m very interested. As the EQ2 can replace my tuner as well - extra pedalboard space!

Have you seen a video/sound clip of it functioning in this manner anywhere? Would love to hear it with some fuzz and octave before it before taking a punt!

These are links to two clips I made before the dedicated feature was added. I did it by programming extra stuff which is now achieved by one click. The new feature sounds even better. 

https://neuro.sourceaudio.net/preset/eEEaGUFbgy

https://neuro.sourceaudio.net/preset/EexBNpTdt5

These weren’t even sweeping all the way down to 20Hz.

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1

Thanks for this.

This sounds pretty cool.

I actually emailed Source Audio with my needs too and their suggestion of which way to go. Their reply is somewhat confusing...

the Spectrum would do a much closer Moog LPF impression with its 4-pole Low-pass filter.  The EQ2 isn't a resonant filter so it probably wouldn't sound very close to the Moog.”

The website clearly states that you can control the Q of each frequency band, and the sound samples are clearly resonant. Odd.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 31/12/2023 at 05:00, MPC13 said:

Has anyone had any luck using the Octave up on a Source Audio Spectrum? I have been trying to recreate the sound that Rocco uses in Tioga Pass but the octave up just sounds terrible in my Spectrum. Even my Sub'n'Up sounds better.

I'm not sure, but the Spectrum might be trying to emulate analogue octave up, which sounds more like fuzz.

Clean octave up is a different ball game - needs digital processing like the pog, Sub'n'up, etc.

On 30/12/2023 at 21:00, MPC13 said:

Has anyone had any luck using the Octave up on a Source Audio Spectrum? I have been trying to recreate the sound that Rocco uses in Tioga Pass but the octave up just sounds terrible in my Spectrum. Even my Sub'n'Up sounds better.

Spectrum octave up is actually one of the synth voices from the C4 as opposed to a pitch-shifted clean signal. 

• 2 weeks later...