Why become a member? ×

Source Audio Spectrum Intelligent Filter

fretmeister

1 hour ago, dannybuoy said:

Not in my experience. The Fwonk had me instantly pulling funk faces. The QBalls had me instantly looking up return policies!

It does take some patience to dial in. The Fwonk only has three knobs and a more limited parameter range so is easier to dial in. Every sound I got on the Fwonk I was able to replicate on the Enigma (I had both for a good long while).

Dimensions are available on line - I might have got the wrong ones (I can see I was using the Amazon figures for the EHX Riddle Qballs), which gave the surprising relative areas.

Feel free to plug the right ones into your calculator :)

Edited by Al Krow

8 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

I don’t know what’s funnier. The fact Bas took the time to calculate it and got it wrong, or the fact you guys are arguing about it!

Fixed!

It is amusing, I agree. But it's been a slow day on the effects thread...😄 

Edited by Al Krow

11 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Dimensions are available on line - I might have got the wrong ones (I can see I was using the Amazon figures for the EHX Riddle Qballs), which gave the surprising relative areas.

Feel free to plug the right ones into your calculator :)

Riddle and Enigma are the same size. 

God it has been slow around here.😆 

46 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Riddle and Enigma are the same size. 

God it has been slow around here.😆 

Let's keep it slow then...

Enigma dimensions (Amazon) 4.75" x 5.75" = 27.3"2

Fwonkbeta dimensions (Stompboxsonic) 4.25" x 2.25" = 9.6"2

Ratio = 2.84 x as big.

Q wins 

@fretmeister and @ped should still, however, go for a Fwonkbeta as the Enigma is clearly Q's balls 😂

Not a single comment on the IF in the last 14 posts on this thread, are we all bored of it already? 😁

Edited by Al Krow

4 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Not a single comment on the IF in the last 14 posts on this thread, are we all bored of it already? 

I’m guessing not many have one. Most of us who were interested went for the C4. I do think the Spectrum is priced a little high compared to C4 (in terms of consumer appeal as opposed to recouping development costs).

• 2 weeks later...

Well I bought one yesterday and have no regrets. I know the pigtronix mothership 2 is not the C4 but it does enough for me to just go with the filter which outperforms any envelope filter I've tried before. The tracking is fantastic. To the point that my Pitchfork may be going on sale. The programming looks like a geek's stairway to heaven but the potential is there straight out of the box. Best buy in a long time.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, I bought one too. I was initially very hesitant because I've been a long time subscriber to the "analog is better" orthodoxy. But I took the plunge and...

...wow. This thing delivers just as much slam and squelch as any analog pedal, and then some. 

The real eye opener is the tweakability. It has 29 filter types, and you can trigger them with 11 envelope response profiles. And every parameter within those options is tweakable. And it has two discrete filter engines which you can combine as you wish. And you can EQ every preset independently. That's before getting into the distortion, octave and LFO capabilities...

I think having all this at your fingertips is especially relevant for a filter pedal, because filters are so subjective and one man's gold is another man's garbage.

Basically, whatever the sound in your head may be, you can get it with this pedal... and then a hundred more sounds that you never knew you wanted.

The only downside I have found is that it is prone to environmental noise. But no more so than other high quality pedals I have, I guess the room I'm in is a pretty challenging environment in terms of noise and it seems to be a crapshoot as to which pedals do ok and which do badly.

Bottom line... if anyone is looking for a filter pedal, I don't see how you could reccomend anything else!

30 minutes ago, AJ567 said:

It has 29 filter types, and you can trigger them with 11 envelope response profiles. And every parameter within those options is tweakable.

That’s not quite the case, attack and decay are not independently configurable; it’s either decay-without-attack, attack-without-decay or both at once, and always within pre-configured ranges. And there’s no configurable filter sustain stage. It’s something I and others hope Source Audio might address in a firmware update at some point as it’d open up so much sonic territory. Without it, there are certain sounds which are impossible to recreate. There’s still much to love though.

No argument from me on how awesome this pedal is. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

1 hour ago, Quatschmacher said:

That’s not quite the case, attack and decay are not independently configurable; it’s either decay-without-attack, attack-without-decay or both at once, and always within pre-configured ranges. And there’s no configurable filter sustain stage. It’s something I and others hope Source Audio might address in a firmware update at some point as it’d open up so much sonic territory. Without it, there are certain sounds which are impossible to recreate. There’s still much to love though.

No argument from me on how awesome this pedal is. 

Yeah that's true. The limitations never actually occurred to me though because the available options are still mind-blowingly plentiful for me personally!

Just now, AJ567 said:

Yeah that's true. The limitations never actually occurred to me though because the available options are still mind-blowingly plentiful for me personally!

It's more of an issue on the C4 when trying to get certain synth sounds. There are still loads of great sounds in there but I'd prefer a bit more (i.e. full) control over the envelope shapes.

6 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

It's more of an issue on the C4 when trying to get certain synth sounds. There are still loads of great sounds in there but I'd prefer a bit more (i.e. full) control over the envelope shapes.

That makes sense.

As a side thought, I wonder how many users are getting busy making their own sounds vs. using presets already made by the community vs. just sticking to what comes pre-loaded on the pedal. I'm having loads of fun with the editor but that kind of deep exploration probably isn't for everyone. And that's just the Spectrum, I image in the C4 is even more of a rabbit hole! 

1 minute ago, AJ567 said:

That makes sense.

As a side thought, I wonder how many users are getting busy making their own sounds vs. using presets already made by the community vs. just sticking to what comes pre-loaded on the pedal. I'm having loads of fun with the editor but that kind of deep exploration probably isn't for everyone. And that's just the Spectrum, I image in the C4 is even more of a rabbit hole! 

I'm writing a lot of patches and posting, sadly while all Spectrum patches can be loaded onto the C4, the opposite isn't true so they have to be reconstructed and uploaded separately.

• 4 months later...

I've asked this on the other forum,  but i think answers are quicker here

It has presets, but (usually) pedals with presets have a display, some you can name,  and you instantly know which preset you've chosen.  So how does this work on this pedal ?

I dont see a display.

On 30/07/2020 at 20:26, fleabag said:

I've asked this on the other forum,  but i think answers are quicker here

It has presets, but (usually) pedals with presets have a display, some you can name,  and you instantly know which preset you've chosen.  So how does this work on this pedal ?

I dont see a display.

On 30/07/2020 at 21:59, fretmeister said:

Set. 1 has a green LED and the 3 position switch.

Set 2 has a  Red LED.

The (first) six onboard presets are “displayed” as fretmeister says above. For presets 7-127 you need a MIDI controller which will most likely have its own display. You can also use free apps such as TouchOSC or MIDIPad to access them.