Why become a member? ×

Source Audio Spectrum Intelligent Filter

fretmeister

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

Do you think the C4 could be set to have one of the sounds on the toggle switch to be identical to the Spectrum - like the Meatball filter?

Yes. I asked Source Audio on 'the other forum' and they confirmed that the C4 has everything the Spectrum has plus more.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

Yes. I asked Source Audio on 'the other forum' and they confirmed that the C4 has everything the Spectrum has plus more.

Not quite. The Spectrum has  two parameters per knob on the lower two; C4 (currently) only has one. Also, there are some knob assignments which are possible on Spectrum but not on C4, notably lo retain, both filter frequencies combined, both filter resonances combined and both envelope speeds combined. 

At 2:45 it makes the sound I dread of all envelope filters. That high pitched whistle when the filter flies wide open. I hate it! The only pedal I’ve tried that doesn’t is the FX25 which performs a lovely squelch instead. Why can’t anyone else do that! 

1 hour ago, ped said:

At 2:45 it makes the sound I dread of all envelope filters. That high pitched whistle when the filter flies wide open. I hate it! The only pedal I’ve tried that doesn’t is the FX25 which performs a lovely squelch instead. Why can’t anyone else do that! 

Plenty of squelchy ones out there, Fwonkbeta, Discumbobulator, Filter Twin...

I've found that many filters do make that noise, including Mutrons, Q-Trons and Meatballs when the resonance is turned up. You can avoid it by turning the resonance down, but then it sounds more subtle. It's a big reason why I like the Fwonk, it's anything but subtle, but does not have that whistle!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Does the IF do a lot more than the SA Manta can? Or is it a similar repackaging of the Manta's core engine in the same way that the SA Aftershock did to the SA OFD?

It can do quite a bit more. Octaves for one, including an OC-2 clone. And rather than just a few generic 2-pole / 4-pole lowpass filters, it has models based on the Mutron, Meatball, and others.

• Thanks 1

Whilst I'm overall really impressed with the sounds you can get out of the Spectrum, that Mu-Tron patch doesn't sound all that much like a Mu-Tron to me, it doesn't have the dirty quack and the decay isn't the same. Maybe you can fine tune it? I heard a few really good Moog MF101 emulations out of the C4 previously so it's probably likely those sounds are in there somewhere.

Cheers dB.

I guess the question for many filter users is just how many filter tones do they want / need? For me, that differs to a synth where it's a more creative experience and different soundscapes are very welcome. For many of us it's been a journey with primarily analogue filters and finding one that gives us the squelch we're after - we probably won't need more than a couple of great tones. 

So we would be looking for this to match the best of the rest in what it offers e.g. MXR BEF,  Fwonkbeta (digital), 3Leaf GR2, Mu-Tron III etc - and kinda ties in with what Bo0tsy has just mentioned above.

The issue with some SA "multi" products is that they are a great jack of all trades but don't end up killing any. Fingers crossed that this won't fall into that category.

39 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Plenty of squelchy ones out there, Fwonkbeta, Discumbobulator, Filter Twin...

I've found that many filters do make that noise, including Mutrons, Q-Trons and Meatballs when the resonance is turned up. You can avoid it by turning the resonance down, but then it sounds more subtle. It's a big reason why I like the Fwonk, it's anything but subtle, but does not have that whistle!

Cool I’ll try the Fwonk, thanks. Demos sound good. 

Why? C4 does everything the Spectrum does, just get that!

@Al Krow I agree on the jack of all trades thing, I just want a couple of basic filter sounds, but I want them to be perfect for me and my playing and I'm happy to shop about and try things vs compromise for convenience. If this pedal can deliver, then great, but since filters are so personal, it's impossible to tell from a demo and I didn't hear anything in there that particularly floats my boat.

I'm in no rush to try one as I'm happy with the Fwonk for a basic funk envelope and the Discumbobulator for playing into overdrive/distortion. But if I see a used one for a great price I may try it out of curiosity!

18 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Why? C4 does everything the Spectrum does, just get that!

@Al Krow I agree on the jack of all trades thing, I just want a couple of basic filter sounds, but I want them to be perfect for me and my playing and I'm happy to shop about and try things vs compromise for convenience. If this pedal can deliver, then great, but since filters are so personal, it's impossible to tell from a demo and I didn't hear anything in there that particularly floats my boat.

I'm in no rush to try one as I'm happy with the Fwonk for a basic funk envelope and the Discumbobulator for playing into overdrive/distortion. But if I see a used one for a great price I may try it out of curiosity!

Apparently does not do exactly the same - as per a post up there a bit ^ 

14 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Apparently does not do exactly the same - as per a post up there a bit ^ 

How often do people change settings mid gig?  I would have thought you would just have a preset for each variation and leave it at that, I doubt ill ever adjust a knob on the C4, except for maybe Level, and that will only be due to programming error.

4 hours ago, ped said:

Cool I’ll try the Fwonk, thanks. Demos sound good. 

Fwonk is an excellent little pedal! Only moved mine on due to a lack of board space (and pestering from a BC mate who was keen to get his hands on it! 😀)

It just edged it over the MXR BEF for me when solo'd but the I suspect the 'harsher' tone of the BEF would probably work better in a band mix.

5 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Also try the EHX QBalls Enigma, it does what the Fwonk can do and more (though is a bit noisier due to its being analogue and the fwonk’s being digital).

...some may consider this a trivial matter (particularly if you don't have a pedal board)...but best not to forget to also mention that the EHX takes up approximately SIX times (5.87 times to be precise) the pedal board space of the Fwonk.

No small feat feet, eh?😉

13 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Also try the EHX QBalls Enigma, it does what the Fwonk can do and more (though is a bit noisier due to its being analogue and the fwonk’s being digital).

Not in my experience. The Fwonk had me instantly pulling funk faces. The QBalls had me instantly looking up return policies!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

...some may consider this a trivial matter (particularly if you don't have a pedal board)...but best not to forget to also mention that the EHX takes up approximately SIX times (5.87 times to be precise) the pedal board space of the Fwonk.

No small feat feet, eh?😉

Six? I think that’s an overestimation.