Why become a member? ×

MB200 alternatives.

ianrendall

I have a GK MB200 which up till now I’ve been really pleased with in terms of both volume and tone.

I have recently got a Sadowsky, which does sound fabulous through it. But the trouble is, it sounds more fabulous through my 700RB, which I think is down to the boost control and less baked in mid scoop.

I’m looking for a micro amp, or possibly a combo for backup and rehearsals that is very firmly within the same price bracket as my MB200 that is capable of a bit of grit. I don’t have any more money to shell out because the Sadowsky NYC means I’ll be living on baked beans and fosters lager for the next 2 years  

Not interested in FX pedals in any way shape or form, but perhaps the BH250 with a gritty toneprint? What are the Eden Terra Nova heads like, as they seem a lot of bang for ones buck?

Edited by ianrendall

When my MB200 fried (it was used as a gig back up and home practice amp) I bought a Peavey miniMax for £282 brand-new delivered.  To replace the MB200 would have been more expensive.

The miniMax is bigger than the MB200 and twice the weight, but still only weighs 5lbs.

On the plus side, apart from being amazing value for money, it's a truely brilliant little amp.  It's very loud, very flexible tone-wise, built like a tank, looks cool and comes in a little gig bag. (The gig bag is very basic but OK.)

I've gigged the miniMax a lot and it copes extremely well.  It's as good, or maybe even better in some ways, as amp costing several hundred pounds more that I've owned.

Frank.

On 05/09/2019 at 17:32, machinehead said:

When my MB200 fried (it was used as a gig back up and home practice amp) I bought a Peavey miniMax for £282 brand-new delivered.  To replace the MB200 would have been more expensive.

The miniMax is bigger than the MB200 and twice the weight, but still only weighs 5lbs.

On the plus side, apart from being amazing value for money, it's a truely brilliant little amp.  It's very loud, very flexible tone-wise, built like a tank, looks cool and comes in a little gig bag. (The gig bag is very basic but OK.)

I've gigged the miniMax a lot and it copes extremely well.  It's as good, or maybe even better in some ways, as amp costing several hundred pounds more that I've owned.

Frank.

Excellent! I hadn’t thought of that one.