Why become a member? ×

2x10 wedge with a 4x 10 sound

dub

I have used a lot of different amps and cabs at festivals and my best sounds always seems to come from a 4×10, usually an Eden cab. While I would love to use one of these at every gig there is just not enough room in the back of the WV transporter for a kit a guitar amp and a 4x10 so I am looking for a 2x10 wedge with a 4x10 sound. How does the Markbass Marcus Miller 102 shape up?

If the Markbass MM102 is like most of the other Markbass cabs it will most likely have a high end roll off. Not the worst deal in the world unless you always DI to FOH - at that point the FOH will get a much treblier sound than your on stage sound.

I think Chris is pretty spot on re the BF cabs - there’s a great review of the 210 on here, put up a few days ago, def worth a read, and as per what Chris has said, the Super Twin will do even more.

Thanks for all the advice. I must have a try of one of these barefaced cabs.

I do have a 2x10 that I made myself, a long time ago out of 18mm ply. It is fine for practicing but does not have enough power for bigger gigs. It is a 60litre cab with two front facing 64 mm diameter 150mm long ports made of plastic drainpipe.

I made it to match the two Celestion BG10 80 speakers. 

It doesn't handle a lot of low end very well.

Phil do do have any advice on replacement speakers that might allow it handle 400w and improve low end performance? Ideally to end up sounding a bit like an Eden 4x10 XLT. (hehe)

I have no worries about efficiency as I have a 500W amp.

TBH it's a bit much to expect a 2x10 to sound like a 4x10 with a tweeter as I am sure you know. I've never heard the cab in question so I'm making no guarantees about how a home build will sound. 

400W is easy, most 10's will handle 200W+ and most decent speakers will outperform the old Celestions. If you are going to use them without a tweeter then you'd probably want a bit of an upper mid peak to make them sound a bit brighter. All the usual caveats apply; you won't know what they sound like until you build them and you won't get much back if you decide to sell them on.

60l is pretty big for a 2x10, it might be worth thinking this through and building a cab to match the speakers you buy and end up with an even more portable cab. Just saying :)

Do you have a budget in mind? for just under £100 you could buy a couple of Beyma 10CM V2's  which would probably suit your cab let me  know and I'll model them for you if you decide you really want to build something yourself

I sold my fender bassman neo 410 & replaced it with a Markbass NY212 which is a far superior cab,can take 800 watts,is compact,sounds big plus it's light weight too.

My band were amazed how good it is,plus it's not boomy like the Barefaced BB2 I used to own.

Edited by artisan