Why become a member? ×

What pickups and EQ are best for Metal?

uAdi

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

D'uh! Gotta be Darkglass (see Spector basses). 

Ok sorted - mods please close the thread 😂

I was asking because I'm gonna buy a Cort C6 Plus which has the Bartolinis but someone suggested me to check out the SR306EB which has the PowerSpan pickups and now I'm confused again if I should buy the Cort or not. 

I would buy the bass that felt good to play and sounded good across many styles, and then I'd EQ to the sound the band needed.

If I couldn't get the right sound for a particular genre I'd just buy a pedal.

IMO I've seen many basses being used in Metal. These basses are also seen in other genres so I'd guess the "extreme" sounds in certain styles of music would be down to the pedal boards used.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

If you buy a bass because it has certain pickups, your decision is strange.

The feel of the bass including playability and all ergonomic aspects mean most. The sound can be tweaked via pedals and changing electronics, pickups, and strings. Ergonomics you can not tweak with electronics.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, itu said:

If you buy a bass because it has certain pickups, your decision is strange.

The feel of the bass including playability and all ergonomic aspects mean most. The sound can be tweaked via pedals and changing electronics, pickups, and strings. Ergonomics you can not tweak with electronics.

Ibanez it is then. Thank You! Actually I could not play the bass before buying it that's why I'm knit picking everything up. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Hobbayne said:

You need one of these.......https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/P-bass-by-PCGC-a-two-tone-bass-with-custom-refinements/193032406165?hash=item2cf1a0c495:g:EtcAAOSwsU5dSFsq

And it will be the only one in India! - You will be famous!!

You've got to admire Mr. Cleartone Clouded Mind's persistence, then again I generally produce a bog log a day and don't plan on easing up on production anytime soon so fair play to him I suppose. 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Hobbayne said:

You need one of these.......https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/P-bass-by-PCGC-a-two-tone-bass-with-custom-refinements/193032406165?hash=item2cf1a0c495:g:EtcAAOSwsU5dSFsq

And it will be the only one in India! - You will be famous!!

That nut is an abomination. Just saying.

Although you could use any string thickness in any position which is a genuine innovation come to think of it.

• Haha 1

On 05/09/2019 at 10:55, Dan Dare said:

Almost anything is good for anything. True an upright won't usually do it in a metal band, but I'm sure someone will be along to prove me wrong one day.

You just had to bring it up didn't you. Couldn't let sleeping dogs lie.

• Haha 1

Gibson EB-3, down tune to low C, rip out the bridge pickup, roll off all the tone, run it through a Marshall Superbass into a 2 x 18" cab... you won't have a clue what note you are playing at any given time, but it will be fun watching the bowel loosening, face melting, trouser flapping aftermath within a 50 square mile radius....  THAT is how metal bass should be done. 👌🤘

On 05/09/2019 at 09:55, Dan Dare said:

Almost anything is good for anything. True an upright won't usually do it in a metal band, but I'm sure someone will be along to prove me wrong one day.

Funnily enough I saw these guys at a local festival today do just that.

• Like 1

Hi (first time poster!) In my experience, with metal or any heavy genre, finding your slice of the sonic spectrum is more important. If you know how your guitartist(s) eq then work around that. I would agree that how your bass feels is probably more important. I used a fender PJ bass with quarter pounders and power slinky's (drop C# tuning) going through a sansamp and distortion pedals when necessary. I've seen guys with far more fancy stuff than me got totally lost in the mix. Most recent example being a guy in a metal band with two guitarists. The bassist had a full touring rig, rack mount power amp (I think) and some sort of laptop running modelling software with some pedals etc. Can't remember much about his bass apart from the fact it was a 6string. I had no idea what he sounded like for most of the gig till he had a solo section. Anyways long story short get something you feel comfortable with and can transmit your style of playing cleanly and enjoy the rumble 😁