Why become a member? ×

NAD - Ashdown Little Stubby

PatrickJ

I've been looking for a more vintage tone than my markbass head was offering and figured an all tube head was going to be the best way to achieve it.

I picked this up from this forum for a very reasonable amount, arrived next day in mint condition as far as I can see.

Initial impressions are positive, I wonder how it would sound through a 15" cab.

20190904_220432.thumb.jpg.ed2a21a6da2a4260194d6212b0138bee.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

New Cab Day

I was originally looking for a 15" cab to pair with the Lil' Stubby but this VS-212 popped up on eBay this weekend and the seller let it go for £140.

I was seduced by the vintage looks but it actually sounds really great with the head.  A bit weighty at 30kg but manageable.

20190908_180124.thumb.jpg.1c75ed36a81dc1935f235641c4558ddc.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, PJ-Bassist said:

New Cab Day

I was originally looking for a 15" cab to pair with the Lil' Stubby but this VS-212 popped up on eBay this weekend and the seller let it go for £140.

I was seduced by the vintage looks but it actually sounds really great with the head.  A bit weighty at 30kg but manageable.

20190908_180124.thumb.jpg.1c75ed36a81dc1935f235641c4558ddc.jpg

Great cab, it’ll pair really well with the Stubby. Love your Sandberg too, they’re causing me all sorts of uncomfortable GAS feelings at the moment 😳

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Thunderpaws said:

How does the 30watt all valve compare in volume to the 500watt class D? Always wondered how a set up like this would handle rehearsal and small gigs with a loud rock band. 

I'm really curious about this too.  Unfortunately I had to leave my band a few months ago for personal reasons so I've got nothing upcoming.  Which is a shame because I have  a Markbass 500w class d head that I could use as a comparison.

I spoke with @Ashdown Engineeringlast year when the stubby head was first released and they suggested that it would likely compare to a 150w - 200w solid state amp volume wise.   It will need to be pretty dirty though, certainly with gain below 11am there isn't much volume there.

I'm hoping to organise a Jam night with some guys from previous bands in the next few weeks so I can test the amp out at some volume.

@Mertonmight have some insight, not sure if he has ever gigged that little bastard of his.

Edited by PJ-Bassist

I have played gigs with all sorts of Ashdown heads from the LB30, through the RM500 and RM800, via the CTM100 and up to the ABM500 and monstrous BTA200. They all have their merits - the BTA200 for example is probably the amp I’d choose if I ever got to do a serious set of gigs (I won’t!), though finding one isn’t exactly easy, my favourite amp to this day remains the CTM100, etc.. - but I’d be happy with any of them for rehearsals and small gigs with a rock band. The LB30 won’t ever be clean, but with enough speakers and PA support it’ll sound gloriously dirty and in your face on stage. The ABM, RM800 and BTA can do bigger bass extension with more cleanliness to the tone, and along with the CTM100 can all handle bass duties without PA if necessary. The LB30 certainly won’t fill a room with deep pounding bass in the same way so keep your expectations firmly on gnarly stage monitor and you’ll be fine.

HTH :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As someone else who has also gigged a Little Bastard: it can be done, especially with a good cab. If you're happy with a tone that's quite midrange-forward, and a bit dirty, you'll be fine in a small venue. (But if you were after super-tight, super-clean, scooped-mid funk tones then I'd question why you'd bought a small valve head in the first place!)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got a chance to take the CTM30 and VS-212 to a studio and play at some volume.

Acoustic drum kit and Orange Combo guitar amps dialled to 11, was way too loud but the lil' stubby was able to keep up (though the VU meter spent a fair bit of time in the red).

I didn't love the sound with drive above 2pm but at about 1 with the feedback at 230 I was getting a really nice tone.  I reckon you could do a covers gig down the dog n duck with it but anything bigger would need PA support.  Since I ain't gigging these days rehearsal volumes works perfectly for me.

16 minutes ago, King Tut said:

Mate, I'm still lusting after your Sandberg!!

It's such a joy to play, the most playable instrument I've ever owned.  I'm trying to sell a bunch of my other basses sonI can buy a straight VS4 to partner with it.

16 hours ago, PJ-Bassist said:

It's such a joy to play, the most playable instrument I've ever owned.  I'm trying to sell a bunch of my other basses sonI can buy a straight VS4 to partner with it.

Mine is an exact twin to yours but with a rosewood fretboard. I'm a sucker for maple though!

9 hours ago, King Tut said:

Mine is an exact twin to yours but with a rosewood fretboard. I'm a sucker for maple though!

:) I remember you trying to trade yours for mine when you picked up that Eden cab.

Though with all the new rules re: Rosewood I'd keep hold of it - it's all Pau Ferro now!!

Edited by PJ-Bassist
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, PJ-Bassist said:

:) I remember you trying to trade yours for mine when you picked up that Eden cab.

Though with all the new rules re: Rosewood I'd keep hold of it - it's all Pau Ferro now!!

That cab is coming on tour with me tomorrow! Blackpool, Kinross, Whitby and Norwich!

• Like 1