Why become a member? ×

Honesty and trust not important these days ?

dmccombe7

There was a fair bit of messaging and discussion before and after i agreed on the sale and he seemed genuinely keen to sell. 

Obviously relaxing on holiday allowed him to come to his senses and decide to keep the bass and on hindsight i can understand why.

I've calmed down a lot now and can fully appreciate why he wants to keep the bass. As pointed out poor communication has caused me to take the wrong approach in this matter. Had things been done differently i would have been more understanding and simply walked away on reasonably good terms.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

On a positive note we have had some good, friendly debate without the aggression and anger often seen on forums and i guess that's why we all enjoy being here on BC.

Things happening outwith our control are more readily accepted in my opinion krispn.

Dave 

• Like 5

A buyer on here backed out on me a couple of weeks ago. I'd taken the bass off sale on here  pending payment as well as on ebay (losing my final value deal), gumtree etc. It was frustrating, but in the grand scheme of things not the end of the world.

I've done many excellent deals on here and met some lovely people, but unfortunately have had more issues on here  buying and selling than in any other marketplace. I did used to believe in the BC code of ethics as suggested above,  but the forum is just a group of disparate people and as buyers and sellers we just need to protect ourselves as best we can.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I've calmed down a lot now and can fully appreciate why he wants to keep the bass.

👍

All's well that ends well.

Nothing like a new flame to get over unrequited love, eh? There's clearly space in your collection for a missing bass, but just please promise us it won't be a Sandberg with Delano pups, otherwise this will all have been a little tame...😂

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

👍

All's well that ends well.

Nothing like a new flame to get over unrequited love, eh? There's clearly space in your collection for a missing bass, but just please promise us it won't be a Sandberg with Delano pups, otherwise this will all have been a little tame...😂

Yep too true mate.

A Sandberg VS4 would be nice if i could get the right colour combination.

Where's CUZZIE when you need him most :laugh1:

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

If someone told me they were going to throw me a lifebelt after I'd fallen off a pier and didn't... I'd be furious.

13 hours ago, ped said:

...or dead 🤣

Briefly furious, then.

Edited by tauzero
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, krispn said:

I’ve been screwed over twice by my courier this week in collecting a bass I’ve sold. There was a movie being filmed in Edinburgh which may have had a knock on effect the first day (Fast and Furious flick) and the next day I waited all day only to discover they’d called but I never heard the buzzer if they even tried it - I’d even left the front door unlocked so they could just walk in the stairwell. 

That sort of thing really boils my Fosters... another F&F movie. SMH.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

As annoying as it may be, it’s not a breach of contract.

I’m with @Sibob on this one. Bit of a strong reaction and slightly OTT to open a thread about it. 

If withdrawing an item from sale is a crime against the forum, then there are a lot of guilty members here, me included. I know the seller had accepted your offer to buy, but no money had changed hands. I genuinely wonder how different you may have felt if the Limelight was a complete non factor. I think it would certainly have made it a bit easier, and the seller you are referring to probably had no idea you were missing out on something else. Just my view from the side line.

Why no breach of contract?  Impossible to say for sure without seeing the correspondence, but on the face of it looks like it to me.  Not that I'd bother doing anything about it given the likely losses and hence remedy, but that's a different question.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

A contract requires "consideration" typically money, even if just £1.

From what Dave has said, no payment whatsoever was made here.

The consideration is the agreement of the price in return for the bass.  It doesn't have to change hands for a contract to exist.   

Me and a good friend run a holiday villa as a small sideline. If I ranted about every person who said "We want to rent your villa for these dates" and then never actually did, Ped would have to buy a bigger server to hold the threads. 😂  Most recent one was a woman wanting 3 weeks at Christmas which is one of best periods to rent. She inquired, came back a month later with what looked like a very definite "I'll have it" and then nothing. Until the deposit drops onto the account, it ain't rented and life carries on.

37 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Nope that is merely the "acceptance" of the "offer".

Agreed - "Consideration" is the actual payment for the goods or services

However, for Dave's benefit, Consideration is not required under Scottish law.

Of course, enforcing the contract would require a trip to the Courts so unless Dave has a lot of time and money spare, whether or not it's actually a breach of contract is moot

5 pages.. Slow day in the office here, read them all.. 

Just my twopence, but I've not come across a more trusting classified marketplace than Basschat. Possibly I've just been lucky, but almost everyone I've sold to / bought from has gone above and beyond the usual levels of help and communication you'd get elsewhere. 

There's the occassional tyre kickers but generally well meaning. If you want a schooling in the abuse of trust and 'honour' Ebay and Gumtree both have a lot to offer.. 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

Agreed - "Consideration" is the actual payment for the goods or services

However, for Dave's benefit, Consideration is not required under Scottish law.

Of course, enforcing the contract would require a trip to the Courts so unless Dave has a lot of time and money spare, whether or not it's actually a breach of contract is moot

Oddly enough I'm retired with lots of money however its not worth the bother. As pointed out earlier by someone its just a bass, there are plenty other basses out there. This was just a sale that didn't go thru and perhaps just put over to me in a slightly poor way.

Dave

27 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Tbf that is probably exactly what most lawyers think of 50+ y/o bass players strutting their stuff on stage 😂

WATCH IT, WATCH IT, you are now on thin ice Al. This is where i draw the line on this issue. I've got feelings too you know :laugh1::laugh1::laugh1:

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Drax said:

5 pages.. Slow day in the office here, read them all.. 

Just my twopence, but I've not come across a more trusting classified marketplace than Basschat. Possibly I've just been lucky, but almost everyone I've sold to / bought from has gone above and beyond the usual levels of help and communication you'd get elsewhere. 

There's the occassional tyre kickers but generally well meaning. If you want a schooling in the abuse of trust and 'honour' Ebay and Gumtree both have a lot to offer.. 

I have to give the guy credit in that the communication up to the withdrawal was 1st class and both parties had been very upfront and honest about the deal. He gave lts of info when i asked questions about the bass and i couldn't have asked for more in that respect.

Where it fell down IMHO was in the way it was withdrawn and communicated to me which is sad and disappointing but its just life. Its not how i would do "business" but  its clear from this thread that not everyone shares my principles in life. and that is the saddest part of this.

Dave  

Dave mentioned a page or so back that he was now in a calmer place. Plenty have contributed, there can't be anything else to add that is going to benefit anyone, so I reckon it's time to close it whilst everyone is feeling happy, content and ready to get back to talking about flats v rounds, P v J etc. :)

• Like 3