Why become a member? ×

Honesty and trust not important these days ?

dmccombe7

5 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

What about a scenario where you are booked to play a gig at a venue, turn down other gigs/family events etc. Because of doing this gig.

Venue turns around and says last minute they don’t want you to play.

Similar scenario/ different scenario?

No money has been lost and no children or animals hurt in this episode.

Would the win some/lose some idea still apply?

Purely Devils advocate here, no axe to grind.

Would anyone turn down other gigs / family events because someone had promised to sell them a bass?

Serious question.

That bass the OP was after was first listed for sale on the 3rd of June. Maybe he did change his mind. But I do agree that the seller should have let the OP know that it was no longer for sale if he knew the OP was set to purchase it.

On the other hand, there is another Limelight up for sale. 😊

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

That's exactly my point.

And that’s relatively obtuse.

A different scenario with similar principles was given where an opportunity was lost, that’s the point.

If that point can’t be seen then there is no point, point of fact.

• Like 1

Lets be honest here. Its mainly disappointment in not getting the bass.

There is an element of disappointment in someone not going thru with an agreed sale but mainly its not getting a bass i've been considering for sometime. At the end of the day there will be other basses i can buy. If i'm that desperate i can buy a new one. 

In future i'll refrain from stating my own personal opinions on how i expect people to behave.

Edited by dmccombe7

Just now, Cuzzie said:

And that’s relatively obtuse.

A different scenario with similar principles was given where an opportunity was lost, that’s the point.

If that point can’t be seen then there is no point, point of fact.

A different scenario with similar principles, but completely different outcomes. I don't think I could have been more specific...?

2 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Not quite. The point Cuzzie was making is that i missed out on another bass that i was interested in and because of the withdrawal i missed out on both basses. 

That's a very unfortunate outcome. I appreciate your frustration. Another will come along, no doubt.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

A different scenario with similar principles, but completely different outcomes. I don't think I could have been more specific...?

1st outcome - no bass - a different bass not bought because of 1st bass deal in pipeline

2nd outcome - no gig - another gig/event whatever turned down because of first gig deal in pipeline

End result of both - nothing gained, something lost

Crystal

• Like 1

Just now, Cuzzie said:

1st outcome - no bass - a different bass not bought because of 1st bass deal in pipeline

2nd outcome - no gig - another gig/event whatever turned down because of first gig deal in pipeline

End result of both - nothing gained, something lost

Crystal

As I mentioned above, that's unfortunate.

The OP missed the opportunity to buy a bass... in this very specific - unusual? - set of circumstances. This wouldn't be the outcome every time.

In your other example, the musicians (yes, multiple), lost income. This would be the outcome every time.

We're still in apples-and-oranges territory.

• Like 1

No inference has been made on whether it’s a band or Richard van Dyke doing his one man thing, that’s an assumption that’s been made.

You could argue that you can’t get upset about something you never had, it’s not like the gig was played and then the person/people weren’t paid.

In this case, in fact the OP has not lost any money, he should be thankful........

2 hours ago, chris_b said:

One day trying to sell on Gumtree gave me more hassle and stress than over 10 years on Basschat.

"Hi, I will buy your item for sale (don't even name the item they're supposedly interested in). Would you take £x (considerably less than you're asking). I can collect today. What is your address please"

Hate Gumtree

1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

it’s not like the gig was played and then the person/people weren’t paid.

Been there, bought the t-shirt. It was a wedding for someone our vocalist knew. We even went back on at the end of the night and played for a further 15 minutes. Approached the Groom at the end of the night to be told,

"I gave the money to my Mom, has she not paid you?"

Mom had gone home. We chased the money for weeks and despite several, "I'll drop it off at your house tonight" promises, the money never materialised and eventually, we gave up chasing it.  

2 hours ago, MoJo said:

Mom had gone home. We chased the money for weeks and despite several, "I'll drop it off at your house tonight" promises, the money never materialised and eventually, we gave up chasing it.  

That gave up thing wouldn't have happened in our band!

• Like 1

I had to back out of a sale on here once. A few years ago. 

I agreed to sell one of 2 identical cabs I had, as I generally only used one of them regularly and wanted to free up some cash for a double bass repair.

Agreed with purchaser to meet up in 8 days time (no money had been exchanged, it was going to be cash on collection). 

2 days (note 2 days) after the agreement my gigging cab stopped working mid gig. I couldn’t find the fault but “spare cab” worked fine when I got home. I had another gig the following week. I contacted the other party immediately (5 days before agreed meet up...note, 5 days before)..to regretfully back out of the arrangement as I needed the other cab until I could afford a repair. Apologised profusely and told him how I understood this would be disappointing for him, etc.

The other party went mad...sent me threatening messages, contacted mods here to complain of my atrocious behaviour. Then posted on here how angry he was that he had been seriously let down by me, as I had messaged him just as he was about to leave home to pick up the cab! Was he walking? Backwards? Blindfolded? On his hands and knees? ( it was a 45 minute drive). He obviously garnered much support and righteous anger in support of his awful plight.

I didn’t bother responding as the poor knob probably hadn’t had a poo for a few days and this had affected his ability to judge time or plan journeys. The abusive messages stopped when I informed him of my job. 

Suffice to say when I got the cab fixed I didn’t offer it to the constipated one. 

There are times when circumstances change, and it sounds like you would have been more understanding Dave, if the seller had communicated more effectively?

Sadly there are some people you can be as open and honest with but it makes no odds....they’re still not gonna be able to poo. 🤪

• Like 3

Hmm sometimes these days I often start posts with something like "I'm not sure it's a good idea to sell this..." - and sometimes it's not hyperbole to amp up a sale thread, it's genuine uncertainty. BUT in any coms with perspective buyers I would repeat my uncertainty and if I changed my mind about selling something it's not because the selling isn't really really aware that I'm conflicted about selling item X. 

The other reason I might withdraw something is that if there's a chain going on... like with house sales. I was thinking of selling my G&L L1000 this week to fund a PreEB Stingray... say I put the L1000 on sale, someone enquired, I would have made them aware of the chain and then if the 'ray sold before the L1000 sale went through they would have known I might pull out of the whole thing. 

Kinda annoying, I get that, but the key I think is communication and letting the other party know the circumstances where you might pull out. To my mind it's my item, and until money has changed hands there's nothing forcing me to sell it. 

In a way, if I get this with something I'm buying it's sometimes not the worst thing, if the bass is any good then probably the owner doesn't really want to sell it! I get it's annoying, but unless it's some kind of unobtanium its just a bass guitar, and usually from a maker who still makes things

• Like 1

I’ve been screwed over twice by my courier this week in collecting a bass I’ve sold. There was a movie being filmed in Edinburgh which may have had a knock on effect the first day (Fast and Furious flick) and the next day I waited all day only to discover they’d called but I never heard the buzzer if they even tried it - I’d even left the front door unlocked so they could just walk in the stairwell.  

Anyhow the buyer has been great about it and I’m very grateful for his patience. Sometimes things are just out of our hands and it can frustrate all parties!

• Like 1