Why become a member? ×

Honesty and trust not important these days ?

dmccombe7

Agreed to buy a bass at sellers asking price plus courier if required from someone on BC but as they were going on holiday we agreed to wait until they return to sort out the details of courier etc.

Halfway thru their holiday they withdraw the bass from the sale and send me a message to say they had decided to keep it. 

Has honesty, trust  and word is your bond something that we don't bother with these days. If i agree to sell something to someone then that's a given for me and i can't and won't go back on that deal no matter what. Maybe i'm just old fashioned in that respect.

I missed the chance of a very nice Limelight bass because i was waiting for the said bass.

Obviously i am very angry and disappointed to say the least and this sounds like a rant but i always thought BC was a safe place to buy gear without issue. Seems i am wrong. Surely you don't advertise an item for sale if you aren't sure. Just me that thinks that way ???     I simply can't be bothered with people that waste my time.

Maybe others have some thoughts on this kind of thing. Personally i am pretty p****d off at the moment.

Dave

• Like 4

Dave mate, sorry to hear about that, it happens, hopefully not that frequently, but it’s a right pizzer esp when you have your heart on something.

Me mam always said every disappointment happens for a reason, a little snorter will be waiting for you, and the bass you missed out on probably smelt of cats wee

• Like 1

I'm sorry for your disappointment, but I'd say until the bass is in your hands, don't assume it's going to be yours.

If this had happened to me I'd not be wondering what was happening to 'trust', I'd be cursing myself for not going for the other bass.

YMMV

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 3

I've always thought we had an unwritten  code of ethics and just common decency on BC.

Its extremely disappointing to find someone that doesn't share those ethics and honour.

I'm definitely old fashioned and have respect for others. If i agree a deal then that's final for me.

Pretty sure its a one off but it doesn't half p*ss you off a bit.

Dave

• Like 3

Just now, ahpook said:

I'm sorry for your disappointment, but I'd say until the bass is in your hands, don't assume it's going to be yours.

If this had happened to me I'd not be wondering what was happening to 'trust', I'd be cursing myself for not going for the other bass.

YMMV

Think there is a bit of that happening too The other bass was a cracker too

• Like 1

I think this reaction is a bit strong to be honest, I completely understand it’s frustrating, but getting so heated about ‘honour’ and a ‘code of ethics’?! The member probably just thought that they were doing something rash and suddenly wanted to keep the bass, no harm no foul, it happens.

If it were me, i’d be understandably sad that I wasn’t getting it, but probably just say “I don’t blame you, looks like a cracker, let me know if you decide to sell again”. That way you’re more likely to get a second shot at it than by somewhat outing them on the forums!

1st world problems and all that.

Si

• Like 22

I haven't mentioned any names and i won't but i still stand by how i do business with people. It creates trust. If i make a deal with someone then it stands and maybe its a bit old fashioned but people learn to trust me as my feedback clearly shows.

I missed out on another bass because i decided on this one and because i was being helpful in waiting the other bass has now sold too so in my eyes their is harm done.

If someone isn't sure about selling their gear they shouldn't advertise it.

Dave

• Like 2

The annoyance and disappointment is certainly justified, but if no money (or bass) has changed hands then there’s really nothing wrong or immoral with the situation. Missing out on the other bass sucks big time - I’m sure a few of us have been there! But we’re all human and we change our minds sometimes.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

so in my eyes their is harm done

No, there wasn’t any harm done, you just didn’t buy a bass guitar......perspective is key!

With respect.

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sibob said:

No, there wasn’t any harm done, you just didn’t buy a bass guitar......perspective is key!

With respect.

Si

With respect.  You can't really say no harm was done without knowing much more about it Si.    Maybe the buyer had arranged to sell the bass on at a profit.  Maybe they had a gig which absolutely required that particular bass to be used.  Who knows.  But, if you make an agreement that is sufficiently well defined to form a contract (offer, consideration and acceptance), then at least potentially you expose yourself to risk of action if you decline to go through with a sale because you have simply changed your mind.  So don't agree to sell something unless you are sure that's what you want to do.   And don't assume that it doesn't count because there is no signed piece of paper.   

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Meanwhile.... the Earth is burning to a crisp, Brexit, god knows how many wars raging as we type, Paedophilia happening on an industrial scale, .... but yeah let's rant about someone having a change of mind on selling a plank of wood.... a bit frustrating... absolutely it is ! Worth ranting publicly about honesty, trust, honour, breaching of contracts, codes of conduct etc etc .... get off the grass!... just as poor form as seller changing their mind ! Punch a wall and move on. 🤪

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Happened to me one step farther on down the line. I had paid, but the seller refunded my PayPal when he changed his mind so I hadn't lost anything.

I feel that we all have the perfect right to change our minds, as buyers and sellers, but it was a little odd. Left me wondering why. I had forgotten about it until I saw this thread though. 

I suppose there are plenty of reasons none of which were actually my business. However these were my reactions, it seems to me the OP has every right to react in their own way regardless how I or anyone else might feel. 

I've had buyers on this forum commit to purchasing items I've had for sale with pleads for me to put the item on hold and promising funds to follow soon; predictably to then not hear a sausage from them again.  It goes both ways, its annoying but it happens just as much here as it does anywhere.  People are people at the end of the day and they're just bass guitars :).

• Like 1