Why become a member? ×

Sire M2 Treble and Main Tone Controls

wishface

If there's anyone out there that's familiar with this bass and these controls

https://www.sire-revolution.com/product/sire-marcus-miller-m2/

Can they explain how they work? They don't seem to do anything, whether or not in passive or active. Admittedly I have a crappy guitar practice amp right now, so I don't expect audio miracles, but surely they are meant to do something? Everything else seems to work fine and sounds ok so I can't imagine there's a fault. 

Thanks

First of all make sure the bass is in active mode, or the three band will do nothing. - in massive mode not only will the treble control do nothing, neither will the mid and bass - you won't hear them change. 

The master tone control works in both active or passive mode and when advanced in an anti-clockwise direction will progressively roll the top end treble frequencies off. If you are hearing no difference whatsoever, then there's a few answers - one being that your amp you are listening  through cant reproduce those frequencies clearly enough to register a difference - I can only think of one bass to date that through a cheap amplifier it wasn't possible to hear the differences clearly though.

Other reasons why you may struggle - If the bass is in active mode and you have the treble turned down, you might not hear a difference in the master tone. Vice versa also applies. If you have the master tone all the way down the the treble control might not make any difference either.

Here's the starting point: Bass in active mode. set the active EQ so that each control is in the centre of its travel. (You may find that these basses have a 'click' when the knob passes through that position to tell you where it is.) The master tone, start all the way clockwise - not in the central position - it's a passive tone control (which will need explaining if you are unfamiliar with the terms active and passive.)

Then, from that position, roll the master tone all the way off whilst playing. Go back to fully clockwise then roll the treble control off (anti-clockwise too) whilst playing. If you still cant hear a single difference then you either have something seriously up with the bass, an amplifier that isn't up to the job.. or, in the case of one of my students, it just so happened that an illness as a child meant he had no top end to his hearing - he didn't know what a bass should sound like!

• 1 year later...

I had this issue and have been searching for a solution for some time. I have now resolved it. 

I can’t take credit for the solution as it was Lobster, the YouTube bass reviewer who suggested this. 

it turns out that the cap used by Sire is only 0.04 whatever the units. He swapped it with a 0.1 capacitor and that resolved the issue. So I decided to try the same thing and you know what, I now have a very effective tone control. The bass sounds exactly as I want it to sound. 

If you can solder and if you take your time, you should be able to do it. 

Enjoy

• 8 months later...
On 11/03/2021 at 13:18, Mambosasa said:

A1A526D0-7EB6-4AA3-9EF9-902BF4F24988.thumb.jpeg.33371925476330a0c866f0cf3e46cb84.jpeg

this is the cap, in green that you will have to replace…

D18CA9C2-89A4-40AA-B879-51D03ACD06E6.thumb.jpeg.18fa1c7179b6341f2516ba25f183c430.jpeg

I chose to stick the new one at the back of the PCB, it was just simpler to solder in that way. 

If you do it like that you need to pt insulating sleeving on the legs (ie heat shrink and then attache the body to the PCB with silicon. It is easier and better to put the cap in the PCB.

Edited by Chienmortbb