Why become a member? ×

Which cable to connect Sansamp to Rolls?

Jack

Hello everybody.

I have a Paradriver V2 and I want to use the standard 1/4" output to connect it to my Rolls MP13 which has an XLR and, most importantly, a 'balanced trs 3.5mm' input. I normaly use both the XLR on the Sansamp into the XLR on the Rolls, but now I need the Sansamp output for something else and I'm forced to use the 1/4" unbalanced output on the Sansamp. I'm not bothered which of the inputs on the Rolls I use.

As the output of the Sansamp is just mono and unbalanced, am I right in thinking that either a 6.35mm TS -> XLR or 6.35mm TS -> 3.5mm TRS cable would be it? Or should I be using TS- > TS given that it's expecting a balanced input?

Thanks

14 minutes ago, Jack said:

As the output of the Sansamp is just mono and unbalanced, am I right in thinking that either a 6.35mm TS -> XLR or 6.35mm TS -> 3.5mm TRS cable would be it? Or should I be using TS- > TS given that it's expecting a balanced input?

Probably the simplest way is to use unbal - unbal. As you can see from the unit's labeling, only XLRs are balanced. You should check, whether the 3.5 mm input is only TS, because it is unbalanced.

If you use the XLR, then 1 is ground, 2 is hot and 3 cold -> solder 1 (from the sleeve) and 3 together and 2 to the signal/tip.

3 minutes ago, itu said:

Probably the simplest way is to use unbal - unbal. As you can see from the unit's labeling, only XLRs are balanced. You should check, whether the 3.5 mm input is only TS, because it is unbalanced.

If you use the XLR, then 1 is ground, 2 is hot and 3 cold -> solder 1 (from the sleeve) and 3 together and 2 to the signal/tip.

Well, the unit itself is labelled 'unbal' but the manual says that it is balanced and it's for things like TRS lavalier mics. I don't know. The unit is also labelled for 12V DC power, but it accepts 9-15V according to the manual.

2 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

Why, out of curiosity?  Where does the MP13 subsequently go into?

An FRFR cab that unfortunately doesn't have a physical volume control. Hence the need for a line level preamp and volume control.

• Like 1

That TRS may have power supply in the ring. But balanced, who knows? Again, schema would help.

• Max Input Level: +4dBV XLR balanced, +10dBV unbalanced
  • Phantom Power: +24 Volts, 6 mA

This (from the web page) tells that the input(s?) has the Phantom and that the other input is unbalanced. Paper told us something else.

Edited by itu