Why become a member? ×

My Vintera P bass issues

artisan

So I've had this bass for a few weeks now & over all am very happy with it.

Build quality,in general,is very good,plays & sounds very good indeed however there have been a couple of issues.

No 1 - the jack socket was very iffy from new which meant the pick guard had to come partially off on day one so I could bend the contacts in a little so it would actually make reliable contact with the lead,which also means said lead doesn't fall out of the socket now.

No 2 - I had to take out the treble side of the pickup as the foam padding in the cavity was too small to support the pickup correctly making proper adjustment impossible,now fixed with a new piece of suitable foam.

So only minor niggles but simple ones that shouldn't be there on an £800 instrument,good old Fender build quality strikes again.

Don't let this put you off buying one though as it is a very nice P bass & will most likley be my main gigging bass.

Edited by artisan

I just picked up a Vintera Mustang and the build, fit and finish is spot on. You don`t expect to find faults in a £800 bass. But as you say, Good old Fender!

It`s like Forrest says, you never know which one your gonna get!

Edited by jezzaboy
  • Like 2

On 04/09/2019 at 17:37, RossHetherington said:

Hmm just about to buy a Player series so hope I don't have the same problems. 

I bought a player series precision about 3 months ago as a back up to my maruszczyk Jake and since I got it I've gigged with it exclusively, excellent basses , light playable great neck no discernible difference between it and any of the American P basses I've had certainly not worth the extra cost for me wouldn't hesitate to buy another 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, peety said:

I bought a player series precision about 3 months ago as a back up to my maruszczyk Jake and since I got it I've gigged with it exclusively, excellent basses , light playable great neck no discernible difference between it and any of the American P basses I've had certainly not worth the extra cost for me wouldn't hesitate to buy another 

I think I'm going to pull the trigger at the weekend. My local store only has them to order at the moment but means I get one straight from Fender which is nice. Haven't really seen a bad review of them.

Get some nice La Bella's on it. 

Edited by RossHetherington
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/09/2019 at 13:24, kodiakblair said:

Should not matter. The Mexican factory is owned and run by Fender, they set the QC conditions nd decide the parts used. 

The cynic in me thinks it's deliberate so folks spend the extra for USA. 

Cheaper workforce I would say ? 

On 04/09/2019 at 12:43, artisan said:

So I've had this bass for a few weeks now & over all am very happy with it.

Build quality,in general,is very good,plays & sounds very good indeed however there have been a couple of issues.

No 1 - the jack socket was very iffy from new which meant the pick guard had to come partially off on day one so I could bend the contacts in a little so it would actually make reliable contact with the lead,which also means said lead doesn't fall out of the socket now.

No 2 - I had to take out the treble side of the pickup as the foam padding in the cavity was too small to support the pickup correctly making proper adjustment impossible,now fixed with a new piece of suitable foam.

So only minor niggles but simple ones that shouldn't be there on an £800 instrument,good old Fender build quality strikes again.

Don't let this put you off buying one though as it is a very nice P bass & will most likley be my main gigging bass.

I had one the high end mim 70s reissue p bass's they brought out about 7 years ago

The jack plug was duff and it had an earth buzz ,both replaced locally .Still love Fenders .Love the silver vintera jazz . 

• Like 1

The Player Series precision that I am currently selling (for now :D ) came to me absolutely perfect.

I simply made a few adjustments to suit my playing style after fitting a set of Chromes and it was good to go.

I've had older MIM basses and they were, to me, poor in terms of fit and finish but this one is impeccible, as was the 2014 FSR Precision Special I had a few years ago.

I almost bought a Vintera as they have some cracking colours but decided to treat myself to a new AP Jazz instead.

Edited by Delberthot

1 hour ago, jazzmanb said:

Cheaper workforce I would say ? 

Not sure what you mean by that. Do you think lower paid workers can't produce high standards? I'd say that was nonsense. Minimum wage in Mexico is $9 per day, a cushy factory job will be sought after so workers will be on their toes. Beats working in on a farm. 

If you low pay means buyers expect lower quality and companies can get away with lesser standard goods then I agree. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kodiakblair said:

Not sure what you mean by that. Do you think lower paid workers can't produce high standards? I'd say that was nonsense. Minimum wage in Mexico is $9 per day, a cushy factory job will be sought after so workers will be on their toes. Beats working in on a farm. 

If you low pay means buyers expect lower quality and companies can get away with lesser standard goods then I agree. 

I Mean a cheaper product can be achieved by making It somewhere where costs are cheaper .Wages are a one of the biggest costs in a business 

I read your post as two factories ,same raw materials ,same standard of staff but asking a premium price for product from one of them 

i'm no Fender insider but i'd say they are differences in some of the items used for the two build procedures and possibly some streamlining on production that you could call quality control

as a rule I think you get what you pay for as far as staff and wages go  

Edited by jazzmanb

1 hour ago, jazzmanb said:

I don't ,never will.So that joke is lost on me 

No joke. I-phones are thought to be,by some,the pinnacle  of mobile phone tech yet they are made by folks on low wages.

It's merely an example of "get what you pay for" on reasonably high priced goods. 

• Like 1