Why become a member? ×

European basses for sale ?

dmccombe7

Seeing quite a few very nice basses in various European countries. 

Just curious to know if anyone has bought from abroad in a private sale.

Were there any issues worth pointing out.

Obviously Brexit may change things in future but for now did everything go according to plan.

Dave

Bought a bass from Hungary, arrived in 6 days with no hiccups. Must have bought 4 or 5 from Germany, 3 to 4 days for arrival. Again no problems. 

Sent a bass to Norway, not technically an EU country. Forgot to include 3 copies of the customs paperwork and it was tugged for CITES. DHL got in touch both times, printed the extra copies and passed on my declaration there was no rosewood. That caused a 24 delay. Not bad for £24 delivery charge 🙂

• Like 1

I have done some guitar deals in Hungary with no problems.

Transferwise for payments

DPD for delivery as it stays with 1 courier.

Also done pedals etc to other European destinations, Germany mainly.

I think the key is to use a carrier that does point to point for the relevant country

• Like 2

Ingot that from a mate who I was sending things to in Hungary.

For him, in that particular country he said it was the only courier to trust, and I have used it for 2 bases, 1 amp, 1 pedal board with pedals. And a solitary pedal no problems.

Different couriers May well be better in other places

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

Bought a bass from Hungary, arrived in 6 days with no hiccups. Must have bought 4 or 5 from Germany, 3 to 4 days for arrival. Again no problems. 

Sent a bass to Norway, not technically an EU country. Forgot to include 3 copies of the customs paperwork and it was tugged for CITES. DHL got in touch both times, printed the extra copies and passed on my declaration there was no rosewood. That caused a 24 delay. Not bad for £24 delivery charge 🙂

CITES should hopefully not be an issue any more:

https://www.thestrad.com/news/cites-exempts-musical-instruments-from-rosewood-permit-system/9382.article

Edited by dannybuoy

I purchased my modulus from a guy in Italy through BC.  Never met him before, but put over £2k in his account hoping a decent bass would turn up.  Sure enough it arrived as stated and I’ve been as happy as a pig in 💩 ever since.  If you want a bass bad enough you’ll take a bigger risk.  Sound the seller out,  see the tone and quality of their previous posts etc and good luck.

rich

• Like 2

I’ve bought & traded with sellers in Europe ,( Belgium, France , Germany & The Netherlands) and never had a problem before , it does help that they’ve been trusted BCers and know how to pack & ship well , also a few bits & pieces from zikinf & onlybass - but of course if you get a weird vibe , just think it over.

I’m expecting a bass from France tomorrow ( with rosewood 😱 )

Bought basses from Europe on this site and had no issues. Also have bought basses from the US including one through eBay- again, no issues. 

If you communicate with the seller you’ll get a pretty good idea of how sincere they are. Pay by credit card using PayPal for eBay or a low cost escrow system if outwith eBay and high value. 

As above, I’ve bought and sold guitars, basses and amps in Germany and the Netherlands this year along with wiring looms and pickups from Finland without issue. I also purchased an amp from Poland.

The key thing is establishing who pays if there are any additional fees required due to exchange rate conversions beforehand. I fell foul of this with the Poland transaction.

Personally, I have sold basses to buyers in Germany, Denmark, Portugal, France, Monaco, Italy, Belgium, and The Netherlands. 

Each one went without any problems (although the delivery to rural Portugal took a couple of days longer than expected). Because of the the EU membership, it was a really straightforward process, with no cross border problems (even the sale to Monaco had no issues). 

If Brexit actually happens, it'll be back to the old days of import / export taxes and tarrifs being applied to such sales.