Why become a member? ×

What's your favourite finish on a bass?

BassAgent

Depends on the bass for me.

I'm a big fan of a 70s style natural finish on a Jazz, I also think it suits a Stingray very well.

For some reason I find Precisions look better in solid colours with with white + black pickguard leading the pack.

I believe there's a new Squier CV block neck Precision out in the splendid "Arthur Scargill's MFI Music Centre Cabinet" brown.

They don't seem to have the splendid grain of the example posted above, unfortunately. 

No matter as nowhere seems to have any in stock. I suspect they're waiting on the case candy which includes a stick-on 'tache and sideburns and a replica of John B. Sparks' polyester suit. 

PBassCV70WLN-large.jpg

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Baceface said:

I believe there's a new Squier CV block neck Precision out in the splendid "Arthur Scargill's MFI Music Centre Cabinet" brown.

They don't seem to have the splendid grain of the example posted above, unfortunately. 

No matter as nowhere seems to have any in stock. I suspect they're waiting on the case candy which includes a stick-on 'tache and sideburns and a replica of John B. Sparks' polyester suit. 

PBassCV70WLN-large.jpg

Wasn't there a Thomann 50th anniversary Fender P with a sexy dark brown finish? I seem to remember having lustful thoughts at the time. 

1 hour ago, Tommygingell said:

Fender do a 70s classic vibes squier p bass in this finish now

I've found a picture but Thomann photos made it look sexier. It was a 60th anniversary edition in a natural dark wood of some sort. 

20190904_160707.thumb.jpg.dca04d51070c9280cb7e5c5088658787.jpg

• Like 1

Not wishing to belittle or avoid the OP's question, but hardware colour is more important (black resists my sweat best!)

Also, I'd take a vile finish on a better sounding, better playing bass over a pretty finish that played like a dog and sounded awful.

That said, I nearly always end up with black or natural!

On 04/09/2019 at 17:02, Maude said:

Wasn't there a Thomann 50th anniversary Fender P with a sexy dark brown finish? I seem to remember having lustful thoughts at the time. 

On 04/09/2019 at 17:26, Tommygingell said:

Fender do a 70s classic vibes squier p bass in this finish now

In their new Vintera range there is a very 70s Mocha Telecaster Deluxe

Amber over alder for me, for the classic Jeff Berlin look:

1dcdb76df38053eece6efc8828b3a78b.jpg

Mike Pedulla's colour finishes are the most beautiful in the world, I think. My Pentabuzz is Peacock Blue, a deep blue with some green hues giving it a turquoise look, but my favourite Pedulla finish is the very bright turquoise look:

BS490-2_1024x1024.jpg?v=1544903370

• Like 1

On 04/09/2019 at 16:27, bassbiscuits said:

Honestly? I don't have a favourite. None of my basses were bought new so I didn't have a choice of colour..

All bar 2 of mine were used, but I chose the colour of all of my them by buying them. Wouldn't buy a bass I didnt like the colour of unless there was something exceptional about it

One of the advantages of buying new is ordering a particular colour you want, which may only be available for a while. I have never seen another MM Sabre in the Neptune blue limited edition colour at all, let alone used. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

One of the advantages of buying new is ordering a particular colour you want, which may only be available for a while. I have never seen another MM Sabre in the Neptune blue limited edition colour at all, let alone used. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That's rather nice... Do they do a matching headstock option?

• Like 1

Thanks - it's a great bass.

It was a special package available during a one month ordering window in 2014, on more or less any instrument in their range. No matching headstock, but highly figured roasted maple neck (mine is flamed). It seems most people ordering basses ordered Stingrays or Bongos - I happened to be after one of the reissue Sabres at the time, in a different, and unavailable colour. This option was announced so I bit the bullet and ordered it. It also has stainless frets and mahogany body.

So more or less a unique MM Sabre - I'd never have got it without ordering new!! I think they didn't include the matching headstock owing to figuring and roasting (not covering it, front and back, basically. The 2007 blue dawn LE Musicman instruments all have matching head stocks (but standard maple). 

2 hours ago, acidbass said:

Nitro Olympic White here. I love the way it ages and changes colour

Poly finished ones also age to cream - see most 70s P, J or Musicman - especially noticeable if you take the pg off. Even 10 yr old basses finished in this colour start to change colour.