Why become a member? ×

The slowest build ever

Owen

55 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

If you pause to examine Owen's avatar, you will notice that he dresses his DB in fake leopardskin.  I think he's looking for a fun experience as much as anything else.

Au contraire, I am looking for perfection! I already have it in DB form. 

7 minutes ago, owen said:

Come what may, I am having a pair of orange or red dungarees!

That's a bit of an extension on the old saying; Been there, got the teeshirt.

The orange ones are the safest.  They must be better than the red ones because the safety elves always use orange high-vis jackets.  You don't often see them in red.

15 minutes ago, Christine said:

I’m sorry, I know Owen was wanting to do a luthierie course and I was trying to help to teach but I shall refrain from now on 

No need to apologise.  I'm sorry if my hasty observation offended you.  From the OP's comment below, it is clear that I am the one who should refrain.

12 minutes ago, owen said:

Au contraire, I am looking for perfection! I already have it in DB form. 

Having had a go on your DB a couple of years ago (thanks BTW) I couldn't comment as I didn't get to a stage where I could noodle in the short time I allowed myself.  I was very pleased to see you had a five though and I may yet take some quality time out with a good upright to see where I can go with it.

I'll shut up now.  There is a vast gap between my shallow depth of hands-on experience of builds and almost everyone else's.

By way of apology to you both; have a cake -

image.png.ff1e534d635537efc80730ee910692d7.png

2 hours ago, Christine said:

I’m sorry, I know Owen was wanting to do a luthierie course and I was trying to help to teach but I shall refrain from now on 

You had better not refrain! That would be very dissapointing.

The reality is that number 2 offspring is of to University tomorrow and my time is going to open up. In theory. I guess I should get hold of some Alder and a spokeshave sometime soon. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

No need to apologise.  I'm sorry if my hasty observation offended you.  From the OP's comment below, it is clear that I am the one who should refrain.

Having had a go on your DB a couple of years ago (thanks BTW) I couldn't comment as I didn't get to a stage where I could noodle in the short time I allowed myself.  I was very pleased to see you had a five though and I may yet take some quality time out with a good upright to see where I can go with it.

I'll shut up now.  There is a vast gap between my shallow depth of hands-on experience of builds and almost everyone else's.

By way of apology to you both; have a cake -

image.png.ff1e534d635537efc80730ee910692d7.png

There is room for everyone on my threads. ESPECIALLY when they bring cake. I think I like cake as much as bass. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, owen said:

It is my birthday next week and my wife is going to buy me a spokeshave. She does not know this yet. What should I get?

I can't seem to copy the Axminster tools web link but if the budget stretches to £90 or so this one is a simply wonderful spokeshave: Veritas Flat Spokeshave - PM-V11

Veritas do make very very good tools, if I could afford them I would buy them but the likes of record also make tools nearly as good and with a bit more fettling than you'll need with the likes of Veritas or Lie Nielson you can save some cash for wood or hardware. So this is what I would buy as I can't afford the luxury tools https://www.amazon.co.uk/Record-A151-Malleable-Adjustable-Spokeshave/dp/B0000DD1KL

I believe @Andyjr1515 uses Veritas spokeshaves, maybe he could give an opinion from ownership

• Like 2

My wife has just treated me to Record spokeshave. She is greatful because apparently I am tricky to get presents for. I am now going to buy a piece of Alder to practice on. And someone has suggested Lime as easy to work for a rank amateur like myself. So I will get some of that as well. Good times. 

• Like 3

Get your spokeshave sharp first! Don't bother with Lime, it's like cheese to work you'll learn nothing from it. Go down to the timber years and buy some cheap whitewood, horrible to work and you'll learn very quickly how to follow the grain of the wood to get a smooth and clean cut.

Secretly I was hoping you'd get the Veritas one so I could have a play with it, ah well :laugh1:

• Like 1

On 29/09/2019 at 22:45, owen said:

I like cheese...

...and I told her that a spokeshave is the ultimate tool for those exotic, harder grades. Well, as usual, we happened to talk about two different things, but I did not have the heart to correct her. I will get a very welcome birthday present!

So sorry, I just had to.

• Haha 1

I idly googled spokeshaves. I know judging a tool supplier by their name is like judging a book by it's cover, but surely few people will buy Mingz tools. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B078LDXG7P/ref=sspa_mw_detail_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But I guess if the blade is sharp and holds position that's what matters? 

Edited by Richard R
Typo

15 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

I dunno, you know.  Lots of folk put their food in fridges with the word SMEG in big letters on the door.

Provided said fridge contains shami kebab diablo, beer milkshake and lager, I don't have a problem with that.  Now run down to G deck Kryten, we're out of poppadums.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Maude said:

It's not the worst named tool brand. 

I could pull my drawers open and show you my King D!ck. 

I'd forgotten those! I had a 4" and a 10", but the 10" got so stiff it was unusable so I only have the 4" now. Last used on the canal towpath in Brum. 

* adjustable spanners.

• Haha 1