Why become a member? ×

Markers on Fretless Basses

Stub Mandrel

Markers on Fretless Basses  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• None at all, markers are for tone-deaf wimps!
    • Side dots where they would be on a fretted bass
    • Side dots at the fret positions
    • Side and fretboard dots where they would be on a fretted bass
    • Side and fretboard dots at the fret positions
    • Short fret lines + dots
    • Full fret lines + dots
  2. 2. Is this the arranegment that was on the fretless you learnt on?

• Yes
    • No
    • I didn't learn. I have innate talent.

1 hour ago, edwn said:

And if we can say that, I wonder why the majority of new fretlesses for sale today seem to be lined?

I think that was covered earlier. The mass produced fretless basses have finger boards that are mass produced too. Rather than setting up an individual line for unmarked boards it's easier to just put some plastic inserts in some boards for fretless which is always going to be the minority. 

I don't mind either way though if I was ordering my dream fretless I'd probably have lines at the edges only, Alain Caron style. Overall, my preference is for lines as I like them for a very quick visual reference though I can do without. My first fretless was unlined. 

A large part of the game for me is the feel of each fretless bass. Even on a lined bass, you'll soon play without even really considering the lines as your innate sense of muscle memory and intonation takes over. Once your hands are 'tuned in', you're ready to motor. 

I certainly don't subscribe to the stuffy attitude that unlined is superior despite having first learned that way (I even had a lovely unlined fretless Alembic Epic years ago). Gary Willis plays with lines and I've never met an internet critic that could play like he does.

• Like 2