Why become a member? ×

Tina Weymouth - Stop Making Sense

40hz

8 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

Possible it was not played live and a different instrument was used for the actual sound recording? It all sounds just a little too perfect for a live take. 

I saw a vid of a live song from them and the bass changed from a Hofner club to another bass mid song and then back again, audio sounded exactly the same though, I suspect all of their official live stuff is overdubbed 

Tina Weymouth didn't play an instrument when she was co-opted into Talking Heads. So I'd guess she had a lot of help at the start, but by Stop Making Sense I'm sure she was up to speed. In their appearance on OGWT she's not overdubbed and sounds pretty good to me.  

When the show is an event in itself the soundtrack to the video will always be sorted out afterwards. All bands do varying degrees of post production. Some like Talking Heads and Earth Wind and Fire etc can be over-dubbing lots of parts.

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Stop Making Sense isn't really a live document. There'll be audio and camera shots flown in left, right and centre.

Poor Tina always got the crappy end of the stick IMO. She shouldn't have been sidelined on bass when she was.

At least she found more freedom in her work away from TH.

It's an argument to be sure: whether the creative leadership (dictatorship) of one person in a band - e.g. Mr Byrne, is to the overall detriment of the 'supporting' players to the benefit of the band's output.