Why become a member? ×

Anyone here kill a set of strings in one gig?

markdavid

Yep frequently at sweaty gigs. The only ones that last for me are HiBeams and Dunlop Superbrights. I've been buying Warwick Reds for the summer too cos they're cheap and I can replace them without worrying about the cost 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, markdavid said:

Played a gig last night so I put on a fresh set of strings, the venue was really, really hot and I was dripping with sweat, this morning my strings are pretty dead, anyone else have this issue when they play a gig at a hot venue? 

What strings did you put on?  How long do your strings normally last?

My NYXL's have been on for 15 months, get played every week and still have life in them.

• Thanks 1

I think I'm quite lucky that I don't get sweaty palms and fingers ( 😯 :$ ) and subsequently don't seem to get this issue.

I only really change my strings when they start, possibly, getting 'overstretched', if that's even a thing, and don't stay in tune for long. Even when I used roundwounds, it could be 2 years in between changing strings.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

What strings did you put on?  How long do your strings normally last?

My NYXL's have been on for 15 months, get played every week and still have life in them.

Wow 15 months!!! I need to try the NYXL's, how are the mids? I find Daddario xl's a bit scooped.

Am using Rotos at the moment, I usually change strings once a month, have used Daddario XL nickels before but they lasted about 3 weeks before going completely dead

I usually change them in the New Year. I have two similar basses, both Ibanez sixes, one is used for gigs (not many, a dozen or so a year) and rehearsals (maybe 6 a year) and the other is my back-up but is played at home on average 2-3 hours per day, 5 days per week. Both basses are strung with D'Addario rounds.

This topic has been done to death (which doesn’t usually stop us doing it again on BC 😕 ), but it obviously depends on how you like your strings to sound.

Arguably making the biggest difference out of any component of your overall sound, not surprisingly it’s different strokes for different folks.

Personally I love the zing of brand new strings. Rich, bright and harmonic. Whilst my stings may not sound dead for a number of months after they stop sounding brand new, I still prefer the fresh on sound.

I don’t change them every time I play obviously, but if money (and the dubious ethics of discarding that number of strings) were no object I would 😊

For now it’s new ones for every gig and every 2-3 rehearsal (few more on the fretless) if I don’t gig in between. Which is a less daunting financial proposition now I’ve switched to Newtone Diamnonds from TI Jazz rounds 😕.

1 hour ago, markdavid said:

Thanks for the replies, I took the Rotos off and gave them a 10 minute soak in boiling water with some washing up liquid added and it seems to have brought them back to life.  Am thinking about trying the coated Rotos as I do like the Rotosound tone.

I used to do that. Worrying when you see the scum on top of the water...

51 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Worrying when you see the scum on top of the water..

47 minutes ago, Rich said:

Yes. It's a real "ewwww, that's my fingers" moment. :lol

One time I boiled my strings, got a spoon and drank some of the scummy water so I could say I'd cooked and eaten myself.

IIRC, I didn't taste very nice. 

• Haha 4