Why become a member? ×

Does anyone else practice like this on bass.?

bubinga5

For quite a while now I've not been following bass lines unless needed. Ive been following/learning vocals on the bass. Talk about a work out on bass.. Im aware a lot of bass players practice horn solo's etc Ive found that following vocal parts a real help and a great insight. This is one ive been learning among many others. Her vocals are so full of techniques like vibrato, hammer on/offs and a multitude of vocal expressions that I think are great on bass played at the right times.  Its just great practice even if you just follow the root notes.But listen to her vocal techniques. OMG.  Then when I have them down I go to the bass parts. What a revelation.!!! Im a massive Anita Baker fan so this record is where I started. One thing I will say. Its fxxxing hard.

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

For quite a while now I've not been following bass lines unless needed. Ive been following/learning vocals on the bass. Talk about a work out on bass.. Im aware a lot of bass players practice horn solo's etc Ive found that following vocal parts a real help and a great insight. This is one ive been learning among many others. Her vocals are so full of techniques like vibrato, hammer on/offs and a multitude of vocal expressions that I think are great on bass played at the right times.  Its just great practice even if you just follow the root notes.But listen to her vocal techniques. OMG.  Then when I have them down I go to the bass parts. What a revelation.!!! Im a massive Anita Baker fan so this record is where I started. One thing I will say. Its fxxxing hard.

What a tune! I was listening to some Anita this morning whilst scrambling some eggs. She is masterful - definitely need to learn some of her vocal lines as both a bassist and as a vocalist myself.

• Like 1

On 01/09/2019 at 14:12, CameronJ said:

What a tune! I was listening to some Anita this morning whilst scrambling some eggs. She is masterful - definitely need to learn some of her vocal lines as both a bassist and as a vocalist myself.

Cameronj check her performing this song live on jules holland. Its on YT and is fabulous. 😎

• Like 1

I've been doing the top-line (vocal, lead instrument whatever) 'practice' for a long time now, esp on fretless.
I reckon it's the very best way of opening up the fingerboard, becoming far more confident with bigger intervals, breaking out of the habit boxes of usual noodling playing. All round really good.
Try some Jerry Douglas lap steel solos, Lady Gaga's Joanne vocal; a part of a Bach 'cello suite or some Miles Davis trumpet.... if you feel a bit boxed into safe shapes (normally within one octave) try this for a while, you'll never look back.

• Like 1

What I hate in this live performance is how easy it looks. (Just joking...)

To be honest, the laid back feel and the easy looking performance comes only through incredible amount of practicing. Anita Baker is lovely. I do like the performances of Oleta Adams, too.

• Like 1