Why become a member? ×

Modulus neck finish coming off

greyshark

On my Modulus Q5 I've noticed the top layer of finish (I don't know what to call it you can see it in the picture) is cracked and coming off. It's happening all the way on the edges of the fingerboard. Is there anyway this can be repaired or at least do some damage control.

20190831_152351.jpg

Is it a graphite neck?

If so it might be worth emailing an enquiry to Status. They probably know as much about carbon fibre/graphite necks as anyone in the UK.

I don't know if they'd be willing to work on a different manufacturer's product, but it can't hurt to ask.

Edited by Cato

28 minutes ago, Cato said:

Is it a graphite neck?

If so it might be worth emailing an enquiry to Status. They probably know as much about carbon fibre/graphite necks as anyone in the UK.

I don't know if they'd be willing to work on a different manufacturer's product, but it can't hurt to ask.

They won't -I tried that years ago

This is fairly typical, seen it on my Modulus Sonic Hammer and a few Vigiers.

In my case, superglue has worked well to fill in the cracks and restore a smooth feeling to the  clearcoat. Had also, in most cases, stopped the chips getting bigger. Sometimes a visible trace still remains, if the superglue is too viscous to get to the very bottom/edge of the crack, but this is purely a visual issue. After appropriate sanding and polishing, the finish is fully smooth. 

Hope that helps.