Why become a member? ×

I think have a neck dip?

KingPrawn

Hello my genius BC’s. 

I bought a lovely new Sandberg recently. I’ve owned several and just love them. When I look down the neck there is a dip. From the nut to fret 3 there is a definite dip. I thought the truss rod may need to have the tension reduced. I gave a half turn to discover its slack. Dropping the bridge pins will not work as the upper fret action s ok. My question is should I shim the neck to counter act the dip. If I’m right what do I use?

As always. Look forward to your advice  

Can you post a pic? Sounds to me like the neck might just have a little too much relief, which would fit with the trussrod being slack. Have you tried tightening the trussrod to straighten the neck out a little? That would lower the action so you might also need to raise the saddles a little to compensate.

On 31/08/2019 at 17:15, ikay said:

Can you post a pic? Sounds to me like the neck might just have a little too much relief, which would fit with the trussrod being slack. Have you tried tightening the trussrod to straighten the neck out a little? That would lower the action so you might also need to raise the saddles a little to compensate.

Thank you iKay. It worked. I thought id try tightening the truss rod. 3 half turns later. It's very close. Could maybe take another half turn, but don't want to push my luck. 

Thanks

• Like 1

That's good to hear! You'll only need to make very small adjustments now that the relief is close to where it needs to be. If you feel it needs another tweak then do it 1/8 of a turn at a time and let the neck settle for a good few hours (or overnight) before deciding if it needs more. If you feel you've gone a bit too far just back it off 1/8 turn and let it settle again. You'll soon have it playing just how you want it to.