Why become a member? ×

New little Quilter amp

Mudpup

Just now, Chopthebass said:

Just my opinion that 45w isn't going to work for any kind of monitoring. We have a Roland kit so the stage couldn't be any quieter, but the bleed from two 2x18 subs still means IEMs.

Well, obviously it may not meet everyone's requirements (although that 45w is louder than my Markbass 250w MiniMark when using the same speakers).

I'm lucky enough to have plenty of gear options, the Interbass replaces or enhances most of them and provides options that my other gear doesn't.

It's an option if you want an amplifier that sounds great at low volumes, as an alternative to, say, an Ampeg PF20T or PF50T. It's also a lot smaller to take to a gig as a backup.

It's also an alternative to a bass preamp such as the  Shift Line Olympic or other more expensive tube preamps (I've tried many). 

It can be used as a DI or a headphone amp (you can use the fx return as an aux in)

I looked at it as an alternative to buying a PF20T for home/studio use but it turns out that it will be the core of my tone coupled with my Becos Stella into my Quilter BB800 at gigs too.

In theory it shouldn't be enough.

But, with a high quality efficient 4x10 it's more than enough, honestly. I run mine with a helix in the loop just for tuning and detune. I have the helix volume on 3 o'clock.

The quilter sound just cuts through so well it doesnt need much volume.

Genuinely, and I tried, if I went one click over 40w on the bb800 I then struggled to hear guitar, and we are a really loud full on band, with drummer, guitarist, bass, keys, synths and 4 backing vocals. 

My previous amps were:

400w laney nexus all valve nx tube.

Ashdown evo iv 600 abm.

Markbass evo I 500w.

Most of them lived on between 50% and 75% volume. 

Oh, and I forgot......I wear ear plugs as well! So its be louder still if I took them out.

Obviously what works for some wont for others, but dont dismiss it purely on wattage.

Edited by la bam

• 6 months later...

I’ve just picked up one of these and I have to say it’s a fantastic piece of kit. The eq is nice and easy to get sounds from and the gain can get nice and dirty and responds to playing dynamics like tubes do. FX loop is useful and the return doubles as an aux in to use with the headphones. The headphone out is powerful and clear. I’m not so bothered with the line out vs DI as I have a TRS to XLR cable. At this point I’d happily pay the price of admission but the fact you have a power amp too is nuts! I cranked it once at home when everyone was out and it was LOUD!  Not had the chance to try it for real but I expect it to be okay for practice. All in all really pleased and it’s tiny footprint is a bonus. 
will be a great backup for my valve amp. 

• Like 2