Why become a member? ×

New little Quilter amp

Mudpup

Not trying to be facetious or anything but is there an actual difference between a TRS cable be it ending in a XLR or another 1/4” Jack compared to a full XLR to XLR.

If not Is it purely the fact another cable that is not in the arsenal will have to be bought as to the reason why it may be a deal breaker?

If you’re planning on using it as a preamp/DI box for gigging then yes, you’ll have to buy some form of adapter or suitable lead. Otherwise you’ll find yourself turning up to gigs and annoying the soundman of the venue because you have a TRS rather than XLR socket will happen a fair bit. Not all venues are well equipped for such things ;)

Just now, Merton said:

If you’re planning on using it as a preamp/DI box for gigging then yes, you’ll have to buy some form of adapter or suitable lead. Otherwise you’ll find yourself turning up to gigs and annoying the soundman of the venue because you have a TRS rather than XLR socket will happen a fair bit. Not all venues are well equipped for such things ;)

I’d always bring the cables I need, and prob a spare.

regarding lack of aux in, there is a work around, but it depends on how it’s wired I gleaned this from the web

Whether it will work or not depends upon how the loop is wired. Either the send or return must be switched for a series loop to function properly. Often the Return is switched but the Send is not. This allows the Send to be used as an Aux out. In contrast, if the Send is switched but the Return is not, you can use the Return as an Aux input and it will not interrupt the sound coming from the preamp. Even better if there is a Return Level control to allow volume adjustments.

• Like 1

Anyone who hasn't gigged with a quilter bass block, needs to forget everything they know about watts equalling volume, and try one.

I've just gigged tonight with an 8ohm 4x10 to 200 people in our tribute band and the volume level on the bass block was on 40 watts (so what's that at 8ohm?). Helix stomp was on a custom setting I've made. We trickled the bass through the pa.

The blocks are ridiculously powerful units. Not just powerful, but clear and easy to hear

Hopefully quilter dont become a victim of their own honesty, and lose sales because people think 40w isnt loud.

I'd imagine this new pedal is just an all round swiss army knife tool, and ideal for back up (saves bringing another amp, di, etc if you have pa support).

I took 2 amps tonight. Both to try out new settings with. Tried them both before we went on. First was my quilter 800 and helix stomp with a custom svt setting, second was my 400w 12 valve, all valve, 40kg laney nexus tube beast.

The quilter and stomp got the gig, on its 40w setting.

If I didnt have the stomp, I'd def buy one of these inter blocks for backup.

I do think though people get the wrong idea with matching cabs and amps. For me, I'd always take a 4x10 minimum if using a small amp to push more air. Like wise a large amp with a small cab.

Trying to use a small amp and a small cab seems to be the worst of both worlds and where all the issues of things not being loud enough come from.

Edited by la bam
  • Like 1

Does makes sense that you need a larger cab to compensate for a smaller output amp. 

But for many folk carting a 4x10 is not a practical (boot size) or desirable (weight), so having a lightweight D class amp with enough oomph to easily power a lightweight quality 112 seems to be a good compromise. The amp doesn't have to be physically big as the Quilter BB itself proves.

If I was using a 12" 8ohm cab and not a 4x10, I definitely wouldn't want to be relying on a pedal putting out just 33W as my back up amp. I'd just have a passive DI box to go straight into the PA should my amp ever fail although, touch wood, I've never had an amp fail on me yet. 

It maybe that some amp makers are not being accurate about the outputs of their amps, but at the end of the day a watt is a watt. It's a unit of power and can be measured just in the same way as a kilogram can be measured. There's nothing particularly mystical about a watt.

Be interesting to see how accurately the Quilter BB has been calibrated and if it's actually putting out just 40W at its 40W setting? The calibration does appear to be almost "reverse non-linear" in that it is going from:

0 to 3 = +40W

3 to 5 = +120W

5 to 7 = +240W

7 to 10 = +400W

Whereas a lot of amps will get to a high power output quickly and then tail off.

But anyone with the BB 800 with access to a decent multimeter (a cheap one can be got for around a £tenner from Halfords) will be able to easily confirm the point.

BB800.png

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BassManGraham said:

Look will somebody please buy me one. I will then give an objective and unbiased review for the greater benefit of all Basschatters.  Can't be fairer than that! Haha 

Email them and ask :) you never know...

57 minutes ago, BassManGraham said:

Look will somebody please buy me one. I will then give an objective and unbiased review for the greater benefit of all Basschatters.  Can't be fairer than that! Haha 

I give it until Wednesday, then you'll have bought one anyway 😂.

I think that this is very cool. It can be used as an amp/backup, bass pre with speaker sim or with the addition of a balanced jack to XLR converter a tubey sounding DI.

It appears that this is based on the pre section of an upcoming BassBlock 802.

edit - I've seen a price in the US quoted at $250

Edited by Opticaleye

Hasn't got an On/Off switch either - nobody's noticed that yet as everyones getting hung up on XLR stuff as per most Quilter threads
(pulls up a chair and grabs the biscuits....) and yes it's $249 so will be around £799 at todays rates

https://www.bassgearmag.com/bassic-review-quilter-labs-interbass-pedalboard-preamp-amp/

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Mudpup said:

Hasn't got an On/Off switch either - nobody's noticed that yet as everyones getting hung up on XLR stuff as per most Quilter threads
(pulls up a chair and grabs the biscuits....) and yes it's $249 so will be around £799 at todays rates

https://www.bassgearmag.com/bassic-review-quilter-labs-interbass-pedalboard-preamp-amp/

Couldn’t give a dogs pecker about the switch, got me vol knob on me bass for that, and XLR vs 1/4 it’s all nuts - it’s balanced, that’s the key, plus it makes sense as it doubles as a headphone socket so that’s space efficiency especially when you look at the link and see how clever that have been with space.

I think this will bloody rule

Edited by Cuzzie

1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

Couldn’t give a dogs pecker about the switch, got me vol knob on me bass for that, and XLR vs 1/4 it’s all nuts - it’s balanced, that’s the key, plus it makes sense as it doubles as a headphone socket so that’s space efficiency especially when you look at the link and see how clever that have been with space.

I think this will bloody rule

Sounds like they have their first BC customer! 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 31/08/2019 at 10:51, ped said:

I was more saying how it seems kind of an own goal to make such a tiny pedal/amp and then have a PSU about the same size; sort of makes it less compact than you first assume.

I aggree Ped. I was going to say that, for myself, I would prefer it  bigger but with a built in power supply - one less thing to lose. It's not like a 9/12v pedal where one PSU can power several units.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Count Bassy said:

I aggree Ped. I was going to say that, for myself, I would prefer it  bigger but with a built in power supply - one less thing to lose. It's not like a 9/12v pedal where one PSU can power several units.

Current doubler cable, use 2 12v ports off a PSU.

Used to do that to get 18v for the Cali Compressor 

42 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Current doubler cable, use 2 12v ports off a PSU.

Used to do that to get 18v for the Cali Compressor 

Not sure that's going to work: the Quilter's PSU has a 24V, 3 Amp dedicated power supply to give a theoretical maximum current draw of 72 watts (and allows for some power loss due to heat etc). Unless I'm mistaken, the Quilter would require up to 6 Amps if it's being fed off 12V supplies. There aren't too many PSUs out there that will power the rest of your pedals, fit snugly under your board and leave enough juice for this relatively power hungry pedal! Most other bass pedals, by comparison typically have current draws ranging from just 1 mA to 250 mA. HX Stomp being a notable exception, needing 1 Amp to 2 Amps at 12V.

Interestingly HX Stomp has a reputation for getting quite warm, even hot, during use. Goodness knows how hot this Quilter pedal will get with that amount of power running through it?

Edited by Reaper

I look upon it as a tubey sounding preamp with cab sim that can also act as a backup amp if required. I've done loads of gigs with my BB800 set on 40w and using one 8 ohm speaker.

Or a small practice head.

Being a Quilter it probably won't lack "Heft"

Edited by Opticaleye
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Opticaleye said:

I look upon it as a tubey sounding preamp with cab sim that can also act as a backup amp if required. I've done loads of gigs with my BB800 set on 40w and using one 8 ohm speaker.

Or a small practice head.

Being a Quilter it probably won't lack "Heft"

It would be nice if someone could explain how Quilter calibrate the Watts on the BB800. The power output would depend on so many things including

• (actual) speaker impedance (some speakers are lower impedance that quoted, 6R* instead of 8R" or 3R* instead of 4R*)
  • the output voltage of the bass (pickup and/or onboard preamp)
  • the EQ settings anywhere in the chain (from bass to effects to amp)
  • distortion used (if any)

that marking a control in Watts does not seem sensible.

• Like 1