Why become a member? ×

Flats...

NancyJohnson

I just put some Fender flats on my old Aria Primary...50-100 set.  The bass is a   1978 Precision clone, albeit customised...Delanos, one of those Badass II clones bridges.

Pleasantly suprised tonally.  I thought it would be a total wool-fest, but there's a bit of shizzle.  They feel wonderful.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Peasantly suprised tonally.  I thought it would be a total wool-fest, but there's a bit of shizzle.  They feel wonderful.

Fender, D'Addario and EB Colbalt's are all hybrid flats, they are a little higher tension and have more zip compared to old skool flats.

Don't use them at the mo.....though may do soon again.....but I love Fender flats.

Played them a lot before - really like the tone and feel, best flatwound for me. In fact, when I returned to rounds last year, it was a struggle...hence, I've been really considering going back to them again! 

34 minutes ago, spongebob said:

Don't use them at the mo.....though may do soon again.....but I love Fender flats.

Played them a lot before - really like the tone and feel, best flatwound for me. In fact, when I returned to rounds last year, it was a struggle...hence, I've been really considering going back to them again! 

If you like fender flats, which are nice, try D'Addario chrome's, they feel and sound similar to the fenders only next level. 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

IMO flats on a P bass is a natural combination. I've had flats on my Lull PJ5 since hearing Happy Jack's, about 7 years ago (wow, time flies!!). First Dunlop Precision flats and for the last 4 years TI's. I don't gig the PJ often but it's the only bass I play at home. Flats with foam under the strings makes a great sound at low volume.

13 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

If @NancyJohnson likes fender flats then Labella's are the opposite - the woolly tone the OP doesn't like.

I don’t find them woolly at all. Get plenty of clank out of them, lovely sound and idea for the rock, slightly drive sound I have 🤷‍♂️ 

25 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Same for me walshy, I’ve also just bought their low tension flats but haven’t fitted them yet, I need to buy another bass to fit them to 😁

The LWT are magnificent! Well if you have spare strings you deffo need another bass!! I’d sell you one but mine all have strings on 😂😂

• Haha 1

I have Fender flats on my p bass and Chromes on my J bass. The rounds I had on my basses were so old that the flats sounded a lot brighter when I put them on, especially the Chromes.

They suit my playing, they, sort of, sound like a bedded in set of rounds and then there's the fact they're a lot smoother feeling than rounds. I can't see me using rounds again, in part because I can' really afford to keep changing strings so Fender flats or Chromes are the perfect strings for me.