Why become a member? ×

Help me restore and value my Jazz

RussFM

I've had this mid-80s Japanese Fender Jazz for quite a while now, but rarely gets played because it's in pretty bad condition, so I'm going to get it sorted and start gigging with it again.

If this was your bass, what would you do to it to fix it up, and how much do you think it's worth now, and after the work? Serial number E968125.

The reason I'm asking what you think it's worth, is because I don't want to spend more on it fixing it up than it's worth in the first place!

Here are the problems...

The original pickups have been replaced with 'Select by EMG's (although they sound pretty good!)

The paint is cracked on all edges, with plenty of dents.

It's clearly been dropped at some point (or thrown judging by the damage!?), as there's a crack at the headstock (only small, and has been fixed), and at the neck joint (not fixed, doesn't appear to be any problem).

Pretty bad buckle rash on the back, which was originally covered with green felt. I took that off, but the paint was quite flakey on the edges, so I've covered it with gaffer tape just to stop it getting any worse.

The headstock is in pretty bad shape - dents and knocks all over it, and a decent sized gouge along the bottom edge (what used to be in that screw hole by the way?).

The machineheads work, but have seen better days. The E string peg isn't quite 90° to the headstock, it's bent slightly forward and doesn't stay in tune as well as the others.

The neck has a few grooves along the top edge, and plenty of dents and scratches along the back. But the fretboard is in decent nick, with only two noticable marks, above the 12th fret, possibly where the strings have banged into the neck during a drop.

However, the frets themselves are in pretty bad shape. Some of them are very badly worn, mostly around the first five frets.

The end strap pin is loose, and it's been threaded, so can't be tightened.

The original white scratchplate was pretty dirty and scratched, but was replaced with the tort one by the previous owner.

I don't want to get rid of it, because it's very light, comfortable to play, and has plenty of mojo! but I do want it to be playable. I've got my Mex Active Deluxe for recording, and this will mostly be used for gigs. I'll be taking it to my local reputable music shop next weekend, asking them to sort the frets (I expect to need a complete refret), fix the strap pin, and give it a good setup. But what else should I do? Should I replace the machineheads, or keep them original, should I get some better pickups, etc? The bridge, controls, etc, all appear to be fine, and I know it was never going to keep it's value like a US Fender, but I think I'd prefer to keep it as original as possible all the same. Besides, a shiny new Bad Ass would look out of place on the battered body, so all suggestions welcome, but I probably won't be doing anything too extreme to it!

personally speaking i would get a hipshot D-tuna to replace the E string 1, get some new pickups, probably do up the frets if they really are in such bad nick and get a set up aswell. Personally i would just leave it at that, the little nicks in the neck and the paintwork scratches i think give the bass charachter and originality to a bass and make it look well played which is good.

[quote name='RussFM' post='37472' date='Jul 26 2007, 06:24 PM']The end strap pin is loose, and it's been threaded, so can't be tightened.[/quote]

Do you mean the hole is now too big? I had this problem with my project bass. Easy fix - stick a match in the hole, break it off so that there's none of it sticking out then screw it back in. New wood for it to grip, et voila. If it's too tight then maybe half the match will suffice, depends how loose it has become.

If the dings in the neck bother you, fill them with superglue and buff until smooth.

Hardware is easy to replace if you need to - I would take the EMGs off your hands for something I'm working on if you're selling them. Genuine Fender hardware comes up on Evilbay all the time - remember to check US auctions as well (postage is hardly anything and you will very rarely be charged andy VAT or import duty)

+1 on the matchstick in the strap button idea with a bit of glue - remember not to put the part of the match you light into the hole :)

Dings do add to the character of the bass, especially if they have been done yourself. I am finishing my 1973 Tele bass in Nitro so that I can naturally relic it myself.

The screw hole on the back of the head is for a strap button. These were fitted on early J & P basses so that a more upright playing position could be adopted for those making the change from double basses to electric. Which leads me to ask; is your Jazz a reissue? Everything about your bass suggests that it's not a reissue unless it's been extensively modernised and why would somebody do that. I would follow the advice that you have already been given and make it into a nice playable bass. Good luck!

Found this '1960 vintage reissue' - [url="http://www.grouseguitars.com.au/sold/fenderjazzwhitejap.htm"]http://www.grouseguitars.com.au/sold/fenderjazzwhitejap.htm[/url]. I see the strap pin on the headstock there. Mine originally had a white scratchplate, and there's more written on the headstock there, so it can't be one of those. But it's entirely possible it is a reissue, I don't know a lot about it.

As far as its aesthetics are concerned - leave it! it's a 20-odd year old, well worn bass & that's its life written all over it. You should see the state of my old CSL Jazz, it looks like it's been played to hell & back in its 27 years & looks fantastic, to my eyes. Buckle rash looks better than gaffa tape! :)

For the strap button, I'd recommend using cocktail sticks & a bit of epoxy - the good thing about cocktail sticks is that they're pointed & will fit screwholes better than a matchstick, and you can use several to fill bigger holes.

The tuner's probably taken a knock at some point, which has either bent or loosened the retaining hoops which hold the threaded part of the key, or slightly bent the backplate. You might find if you take it off & dismantle it, you'll be able to bend it back into shape so it holds tune better.

I think if the bass sounds fine with the EMGs, leave them - looks like the main work will be the frets.

Jon.

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='38070' date='Jul 28 2007, 10:24 AM']Surely it's a good thing, naturally relic means just play it a lot?[/quote]

The very mention of the R word brings me out in hives. It's almost as bad as "mojo". My EB-3 doesn't have mojo and it isn't relic-ed. It's got split lacquer around the jack socket where I stood up while accidentally having a foot on the lead and it pains me every time I see/feel it.

The fact that the suggestion of [b]intent[/b] to "relic" it is mentioned makes me sad.

I'll take a stab at this and say it's a JB 355 - it should have the code in the neck pocket, and maybe on the end of the neck itself. If you take off the 'guard I bet you'll find a screw hole just above the centre of the front pick up and a couple of holes for a pickup cover too. If you do take off the neck you'll probably find a date as well.

It was a budget model at the time (335 referring to the price in yen), but they're fairly well regarded basses. They were 60's reissues (hence the grounding strip and strap button on the neck, and lack of skunk strip) but nowhere near as accurate as the slightly earlier JVs. The body is probably alder, as I'd expect basswood to be far more dented, given the battering yours has taken.

The logo is a bit odd though - I'd usually expect to see Squier there. It may be that someone has changed the logo, but it's more likely it was produced for the Japanese domestic market, as the serial isn't on the headstock either.

As for value, not that much I'm afraid - maybe £250 for a tidy example.

I seem to have owned a lot of Jap Jazzes in the eighties and nineties and most of them were variations on a 60s reissue theme. The EMG Selects are pretty good for passive pups, but could easily be bettered by Seymours or Barts. Badass bridges really transform the sound of Jap Jazzes and are a very cost-effective upgrade.

I'd take it to a good tech, ask for a refret, Badass and set-up. Then play the hell out of it...

Jones