Why become a member? ×

EHX Battalion as a DI

EliasMooseblaster

I bought a Behringer BDI-21 a while ago to set up a little headphone rig, and for the (increasingly rare) gigs where I have to plug straight into the PA. It's fine; for the little money I paid I don't feel I can really complain...but every so often, the baked-in mid-scoop starts to get irksome. So I started looking at options which came with a midrange control and a reasonable price tag, whereupon I found the EHX Battalion.

Does anyone have experience of using one of these as a DI in a live setting? I've just come from watching a demo video which sounded really good, but the guy demo'ing it was sending the signal out to a bass amp, rather than a PA. So, does it do the job adequately? Can I tweak the EQ safely without completely tanking my FOH sound? Do sound guys freak out when offered a DI box that isn't their own and is covered in knobs and switches?

Hey dude, just had one and sold it as it was surplus to my requirements, but used this solely to run a power amp and cab and di into a Pa for small pub gigs.

Great pre-amp and tone tweaking, plus 2nd channel for fuzzy overdrivey stuff. you can take it out the DI as pre or post e.q like most these days, so your natural tone going FOH to be tweaked on the desk, or the tone out the pedal to be tweaked on the desk, with the addition of the comp and noise gate, really held it's own, now if it had a tuner then it'd be a game changer

Cheers - I had been eyeying up the one you had for sale, but it looks like somebody beat me to it! Damn my caution and indecision.

I'm certainly very tempted now, especially after last night's gig, with the Behringer again being a bit lacklustre...though that may have just been down to the tiny PA in the venue.

• Like 1

On 02/09/2019 at 16:07, EliasMooseblaster said:

Cheers - I had been eyeying up the one you had for sale, but it looks like somebody beat me to it! Damn my caution and indecision.

I'm certainly very tempted now, especially after last night's gig, with the Behringer again being a bit lacklustre...though that may have just been down to the tiny PA in the venue.

no Worries, I had it, but it wasn't really my tone, If you wanted an all in one I'd find a used Sansamp, I have the Mk 2 version and it's just pure tone, if you wanted more options, there's usually a Programmable one knocking around for sale, which will give you 3 channels, you could have a clean / OD / boost as an example, plus DI