Why become a member? ×

Heinz On Bass

Hobbayne

1 hour ago, Hobbayne said:

I read somewhere that this was the first British record to reach number 1 in America.

32 minutes ago, casapete said:

Do you mean Heinz Burt? I always thought he had dyed blond hair. Think it’s John Rostill on bass .

Apologies - the video clip I saw showed The Shadows performing Apache in 1964 in Belgium for some reason! It’s now changed to ‘Telstar’ with Heinz on bass. The Wiki page says it was the 2nd UK record to reach the number 1 slot on the Billboard chart, with Acker Bilk’s ‘Stranger on the shore’ being the first.

Edited by casapete

9 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

The mystery deepens. According to Wikipedia the jazz bassist Brian Brocklehurst claimed in 1995 to have played on the Downtown sessions. Brocklehurst is definitely credited with backing Clark on other recording sessions so who knows?

Either way, it's a cracking song with a great arrangement.

Probably cycling to Marble Arch with his DB on his back and pipe in mouth... 

:D

Edited by lowdown

The original clip is not the Shadows, it's Bruce Welch's Shadows with only Bruce as an original Shadow. Shadowmania was a yearly event for Shadows tribute bands and fans with Bruce's Shadows and The Rapiers and others playing the old Shadows tunes over a weekend once a year. I think the last one was 2012.

There are still some very good Shadows tribute bands around but the die hard fans are dying off. There's a Shadows club near to me in Great Wyrley that I played at some years ago. Most members seemed to want to emulate Hank Marvin and played to backing tracks. Some were very good.

The Shadows were a huge influence on so many groups to follow.

Edited by grandad

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

And how could such a totally bad-donkey band end up so anodyne in penguin suits and doing the co-ordinated footwork when they started out like this?

Well they, with Cliff set the path that others would follow, they, The Beatles, etc. Get a hit single, make an LP, do a tour or 2, smarten up, guest appearances on radio & TV, Sunday Night At The Palladium, Xmas pantomime, The Royal Variety Show, make a silly film a la Carry On model, all in the pursuit of a show-biz career. I think it was the influence of the then management types that were around at the time, Larry Parnes being the big name with many dodgy individuals to follow.

Edited by grandad

Well, I don’t know what’s going on! I originally posted Telstar by the tornadoes, featuring Heinz in some good closeups! 

But when I refresh the page it is now the shadows!

sod it, I’m going down the pub! 😡

Edited by Hobbayne
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, DaveFry said:

I'm getting Herbie Flowers with Sky playing Toccata !

Great track!

Big article about Blue Mink (he was a member) in the DM yesterday.  Apparently Melting Pot is now banned as racist, because of the descriptions of various nationalities, notwithstanding it was about unifying the many races.

8 minutes ago, Baxlin said:

Great track!

Big article about Blue Mink (he was a member) in the DM yesterday.  Apparently Melting Pot is now banned as racist, because of the descriptions of various nationalities, notwithstanding it was about unifying the many races.

I think the line about Yellow chinkies was the final nail in the coffin