Why become a member? ×

Just how many basses do you use ??

bassfan

Following on from the ever popular “how many basses do you own??? “ by @musicbassman

I’m curious to to know how many of those people that own multiple basses, myself included, ever take more than one out of the house? Do you rotate them? Do you have different basses for different bands/gigs?

Personally, I only use one at a time for gigging and the rest get a play at home for practice.  

Edited by bassfan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Agwin said:

From left to right:

Number one gigging bass, Spare gigging bass (always goes to gigs, just in case) Twiddle and Noodle at home mostly bass. Red one sold on.

Basses.jpg

Interesting you take a spare.  Ever had the need to use it? I carry spare strings, less space taken up in the car! 😂

2 minutes ago, bassfan said:

Now I know you are telling porkies... I know at least 2 of yours have never seen daylight. 😂

Haha, yup sadly the 'correct' answer is not one that I can lay claim to.

3 would be nearer the mark. About to be 4 when I get a duo strap to handle the spectre of a slightly heavier bass...And only ever one at a time.

Be interested to come back to this thread in 12 months time and see if the position has changed! 

• Like 1

Do you ever take more than one out the house? 

Ha ha, I've got more than one that have never made it into the house 😄

I'm in two bands, one acoustic (ish) and one electric. In the acoustic band it's doublebass all night long but I usually take a uke bass or fretless acoustic just in case the worst happens, it never has. In the electric band I used to use my Variax exclusively with a Yamaha Bex4 just in case and now it's my 4005 exclusively with the Bex4 in case, and yes the worst has happened, twice in the last five years I've broken a string but I do get quite physical when I'm playing and I play with a heavy touch as well, I've tried to reign it in lately but the heat of battle and all that. 

The rest just get used at home and rehearsal as and when I fancy. They're also brilliant for just looking at. I've never found any joy in looking at numbers on a bank account and if the need ever arises I can just sell them. 

• Like 1

I used to rotate my two white/maple Precisions but since one took a knock on the neck I’ve used that one only figuring why get both knackered. I also use my black/maple Precision solely for recording, and when I gig in Hamburg later on this year will use my Vintage V4 Precision. So using 3 of 6, albeit 2 sparingly.

Erm, can’t count, make that 3 of 5 ☺️

Edited by Lozz196

Of my 4 current basses I've only ever gigged 1 of them, the 5 string Jazz.  After the last gig I played where I only used the B string for a single song I decided to switch back to fours.  Since then I'd been switching between a Fender and Sandberg PJ for rehearsals.

The 4th bass in my collection, a Sandberg VM hasn't left the house.  I quit the band before buying it so it's just been used for home noodling.

for my hard rock band I take two 5 strings (one's for emergencies).This band also does an 'unplugged' americana session sometimes which I use my 5 string double for.   For my blues band I take a 5 string fretless and 5 string EUB for the show plus a 5 string fretted for emergencies.   

Haven't taken any 4 strings out of the house since 1996.

Of my 12 basses, all of which are Musicman (10 Stingrays, a Sabre and a Bongo), they've all been gigged, some very extensively, but at least 6 have been gigged in 2019. I never take more than one bass (as its too much faff - and provides one more target for the hamfisted drummer and in one case, singer to either knock over or drop some metalwork on......).

If I were to break a string (I can think of only two or three occasions I've done this ever, during a gig since about 1980), I would play the rest on the remaining strings. I take two spare batteries in my lead box just in case. However I've only ever had cause to use them a couple of times in 30 odd yrs, and then before the gig starts. 

I play in three bands (one only gigs about twice a year (blues /jazz/funk) - one is in rehearsal only (ska) and the other is my main band (blues/rock/jazz/funk). I also dep with a bluesy/soul band.

I reckon I've used five basses in 2019 most times - SR5HH special, SR5H, SR4HH special, SR4H Old Smoothie and SR4H 3 band. 

I generally take whichever bass I fancy playing on the day - they're all serviceable and fine to use - unfortunately the two with flat wounds get least use - I know this will be anathema to some but I always get half way through the gig and feel I'm being restricted, dynamically - ive likened it before to having a rev limiter at 3000 rpm on a sports car!! 

Edited by drTStingray

For a Cherry White gig, I'd take two or three - Gibson Thunderbird and/or Epiphone EB-3 (4-string perhaps with backup 4-string) and the Hagstrom HB-8 (8-string...no backup as I only own one!)

I like to give everything else a fair rotation when I pop along to local jam nights, though there's little point in taking more than one bass to those. Especially if I want to bring a skinny-string as well - getting on the bus with two guitar cases can give one the air of a serious musician, but trying to stagger on with three or more just makes one look a bit ungainly...

I have 10 basses.

I always take my MIJ P bass if I'm playing in my Country band.

I usually take a Jazz or Stingray to play with my rock/blues band.

My old MIJ Jazz, with a John East pre amp, is my favourite bass and is more than capable of doing every type of gig I play,  but I do feel I should rotate my basses, as there's no point in owning them if I never play them.

2 if its an important gig (fretted and fretless), otherwise recently I've just taken the fretted. One can back up the other - I can play anything on both, if needs be. Also will either take 2nd amp or a DI box if there's a spare channel (or a channel can be made spare) on the PA.

Own four, gig/use four.

The 5’s are used at rehearsal’s, when needed at gigs for certain songs, & as gig backups.

The 4’s are main gigging basses.

Take either the two Maruszczyk’s or the two Ibby’s out to gigs as pairs, depending on how I feel at the time!

I’ve trimmed my collection down to 5 basses. My Spector is on a long term loan at a friends house, as his daughter is learning to play.  Of the 4 I’ve got at home I only ever take 2 to gigs, and always the same two. Use my Dingwall NG2 primarily, and my Yamaha Attitude Ltd comes along as a spare. 

I have slimmed my collection down from 7 to 3 but I do have a 4th on it's way. My main working bass is a Fender AVRI 75 Jazz bass in natural. My backup is a Fender 66 reissue Jazz. It used to be my working bass and has seen 30 years worth of gigs, recordings etc. and is very beaten up. Occasionally I will switch between playing either as they are both great basses. My 3rd bass is a Fender FSR 70's Precision bass in natural. Its fantastic but not needed so it is currently having a fretless maple neck made for it and will be a replica of Stings fretless maple Precision. The 4th bass is a Limelight 1960 fretless Fender Jazz bass. When both these fretless basses arrive, they will become my main working basses.

As for ever needing a backup then yes, rarely but has been called upon a few times. The last time was in January this year when the Jack socket on my Jazz failed so I had to switch to my Precision.

I always take a spare. I would never go out with just one bass. Something would go wrong if I did. I normally either take 2 actives or 2 passives out. If I am using actives and it's the right gig, I will also take a 12 string bass along.

I have a a fair old collection of 35 basses, but that's not the question that's being asked... I do try to make sure that nearly all of them get a run out - if they don't they become "at risk".

Edited by 12stringbassist