Why become a member? ×

Tuner pedal rage

Stylon Pilson

I am absolutely beside myself with fury. A few weeks back, my Korg Pitchblack Poly pedal broke. The footswitch must have been getting unscrewed or something, because one day I stepped on it (fortunately at home, not at a gig) and the switch just came apart. Some bits went inside, some came out. I examined it, took it apart, and came to the conclusion that the only way to get to the necessary bits to screw it back together would require unsoldering the signal connectors from the board. So I sighed and dug my old original Korg Pitchblack out and replaced it on my board.

You'll never guess what's just happened. Yep, the same thing has just happened to my Korg Pitchblack.

I'd been using the Poly for about 2 years, and the Pitchblack for at least 10 years before that. This is utterly insane. Is it worth trying to get these fixed, or should I just buy a new tuner pedal?

S.P.

Click switches do have an inherent life span and number of clicks, but should last longer, which is why soma companies like Lehle have different mechanisms less prone to fatigue.

You could go for another one and a clip on at the same time for a just in case, or replace the components if the rest of the pedal is fine and it’s more cost effective to get it done, and still get a clip on tuner just in case!

Edited by Cuzzie

2 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Click switches do have an inherent life span and number of clicks, but should last longer, which is why soma companies like Lehle have different mechanisms less prone to fatigue.

You could go for another one and a clip on at the same time for a just in case, or replace the components if the rest of the pedal is fine and it’s more cost effective to get it done, and still get a clip on tuner just in case!

The switches haven't failed exactly. It's just the case that there's a sort of nut on the inside that holds the switch in place, and it's somehow come unscrewed and fallen off. It would be a really simple job to screw it back in, no component needs to be replaced, the problem is just one of access.

S.P.

Ah ok - I was just about to link normal or soft switches to you, they range from £3-15 if you want to change it.

Removing the nut on the top of the case should allow it to pop out and replace a new nut should it not? Is there enough slack to do without de-soldering?

If the switch is still working, I would do that, even if it’s a De then Re-solder job

2 hours ago, bassist_lewis said:

Funnily enough this happened to me, probably about 8 years ago. I stepped on it to tune and the button and various screws and washers launched across the stage! I managed to screw it back to together and it worked fine but I wouldn't buy one again, I use a TC clip on tuner now.

I like having a pedal tuner because it doubles up as a mute button. But my feelings towards these Korg Pitchblack pedals have certainly cooled significantly. I used to recommend them eagerly, but, like you, I don't think I'd now buy one again.

S.P.