Why become a member? ×

Being bass players you probably wouldn't care about this...

Barking Spiders

I listened to it and, as ever, it was pretty unimaginative, Freebird and Comfortably Numb were always going to be in the top 5 somewhere (just like last year).  Just listen to the request show and it's normally the same old, same old, so the results were to be expected. However, I was surprised to hear Wishbone Ash's Everybody Needs A Friend making it in at #35 (although I think Sometime World would have been a better choice). I voted for Tom Morello's solo on Audioslave's Like A Stone, suffice to say it didn't feature :( .

14 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

https://www.planetrock.com/news/rock-news/the-top-40-greatest-guitar-solos-ever/

I think I agree with about 3 of these. Strange how Hendrix's Watchtower is at a lowly 40! What say ya'll.

Is there a guitar solo in that song? Whenever I hear it, I'm mesmorised by Jimi's playing of the bass. 😮 😍

• Like 2

what no Ramones songs in there :lol:, seriously, All Along the Watchtower is one of my favourite songs, but not because of the solo but because of the overall guitar playing, don't listen to planet rock and looking at this list I'm not inclined too 

8 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Is there a guitar solo in that song?

Four, if you include the intro and the outro.

I know you already knew that, your's being the rhetorical observation of a seasoned professional and a respected commentator.

But younger people might not know this and might in consequence venture into adulthood unprepared for the tsunami of opprobium that would break over their heads were they not to be cognisant of the 'four-ness' of Hendrix's Watchtower solos. It is for the benefit of our nation's smiling children that they be apprised of this grave matter; our knowledge is our legacy and it would be churlish to deny them this boon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

Four, if you include the intro and the outro.

I know you already knew that, your's being the rhetorical observation of a seasoned professional and a respected commentator.

But younger people might not know this and might in consequence venture into adulthood unprepared for the tsunami of opprobium that would break over their heads were they not to be cognisant of the 'four-ness' of Hendrix's Watchtower solos. It is for the benefit of our nation's smiling children that they be apprised of this grave matter; our knowledge is our legacy and it would be churlish to deny them this boon.

I'm flattered, you silver fingered devil, you... 👍

BTW, do we actually know if Hendrix did do the bass on that recording? Because I've heard it said that he really didn't? Though it sounds to me like he did. :ph34r:

• Like 1

I suspect those poor Planet Rock chaps think that guitar solos are only ever done by long-haired fellows playing in pretty standard late 60s/70s rock bands, plus those who later imitated them.

So they would never have looked to funk or jazz for some serious widdle-fests; frinstance, they could have got some kudos by name-checking Mike Stern's solo on Miles Davis' "Fat Time". Or Mark Hicks and Danny Webster's guitar work on "Slide" by Slave... Never mind that anything ever done by David Fiucynzski makes Slash look like a beginner doing Smoke On't Watter in a music shop!

Then there's "Maggot Brain"!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Good point....What about "Breezin'" by George Benson and "Summer Breeze" by The Isley Brothers both contain excellent solos....do they even get a mention?? (can't be rrrrsed to look)

Unfortunately I think the clue is that it's a poll by listeners of Planet ROCK, so anything funk / r'n'b etc was unlikely to get a look in I think. 😒

• Like 1

My main gripe with this is Fade to Black being the only Metallica one on there? Since when is that one better than Creeping Death/Master of Puppets?

Also tonnes of Deep Purple but no Black Sabbath or Iron Maiden? Heathens. 

I wholeheartedly commend the addition of UFO's Rock Bottom, but the Strangers In The Night version is head and shoulders above the Studio version. Freebird is a total yawnfest!  Also there's nothing from the genius that is Buckethead?

I listened to it while working on my boat and TBH most of the entries are by rote, pattern based widdling high up the neck. Throw in some hammer-ons here, a bit of sweep picking there, a touch of vibrato blah etc. Way too many Slash solos in this list. I fail to see what he's brought to the table.  Any such  list that fails to include some Steely Dan is plain wrong.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I suspect those poor Planet Rock chaps think that guitar solos are only ever done by long-haired fellows playing in pretty standard late 60s/70s rock bands, plus those who later imitated them.

I suspect you're absolutely right. Unfortunately, what we think of as "rock" music does seem to be treading down an ever more conservative and tedious path. There's definitely a formula that Planet Rock (and others) seem to cling to, and I can't see it changing any time soon. Even the two Pink Floyd numbers in that list are among the "safer" choices from their back catalogue.

(Longer rant on the subject here: https://ralphbeeby.wordpress.com/2017/10/10/the-devils-music-exorcised/)

Its the standard one mans choice of a set of guitar solos, I like quite a few of them, but honestly a solo is pretty meaningless without the song.

I am not one to judge, my favourites will never get on that list (although I agree with the steven wilson comment above, i love that). I did used to like la villa solo that they have on the list, but honestly most of the time I prefer upbeat, so if I had to pick one rush solo that moves me now it would be analog kid because it is sharp, discordant and goes perfectly with the song.

The Planet Rock audience is pretty much a down the line 'classic rock' one, so don't expect John Mclaughlin in there... but it was an audience vote not just a list made up by the station (I'm pretty sure they would not have chosen most of those tracks).

As a regular Planet Rock listener I was a bit confounded by the list. I get the feeling that there weren't a huge number of votes cast, resulting in some very odd inclusions and exclusion, there was some concerted pushing for a few bands.

Would have liked to see Pearl Jam's 'Alive' in there (some argue it's derivative, I'd say it's full of nods to other guitarists).

Also 'Like a Hurricane' - the best soundcheck ever...

Some of the songs are really odd choices for the artists concerned.

Last year they had a vote for the 40 best riffs of all time. Even the presenter (Wyatt) observed that some of the songs weren't actually riff-based...

What really counted were the Friday Rock Show top-ten songs of all time countdowns of the early 80s 🙂

But I didn't vote so I can't really complain...

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 1

I can't argue with the No 1 choice but most of the rest leave me cold.  The thing that makes Comfortably Numb so brilliant is the guitar solos feel an integral part of the song rather than, "eh up, here comes the guitar solo".

I can't stand guitar -w&nkery.  This is why Hendrix, Billy Gibbons, Gilmour, Clapton, John Mayer are top of my list.  And the Isley Brothers Guitarist ...

Davo

• Like 3

2 hours ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

"rock" music does seem to be treading down an ever more conservative and tedious path.

Indeed! Rock'n'roll is often the safe choice that mother would never warn you about.

However, this is funky as feck and is how Metallica should have sounded should they have taken on Les, got rid of Hetfield and Lars then given Buckethead, Bernie a Brain a call!

• Like 2