Why become a member? ×

Low-end Acoustic Basses - best buys?

Stub Mandrel

I've been trying out acoustic basses. Ibanez, Tanglewood, Ashbury, Alvarez about seven different ones. It's tough as most shops only stock one or two.

Prices have ranged from about £180 to 500. So far to better than the Ibanez at the bottom of the price range, you have to spend 200-300 more, but I don't feel you get £200 worth of better sound and I'm not sure any of the others played better.

Trouble is the dark natural finish of the Ibanez feels like textured fablon... there is a 'blonde' version and it's £10 less but the nearest one appears to be in Oxford.

As a tightwad, eBay and second hand appeals. Are there any suggestions for ones to look out for secondhand?  Has anyone got experience of the Vintage/Harley Benton ones that are out there?

Are teh gear4 music ones usable (although I'm not sure my street cred could survive having their logo on the headstock...)

I’ve had the Lindo black matte acb electro acoustic for quite a while now , it’s got a nice sound acoustically and amp’d up , but the only thing I don’t like is the depth of the body, I’ve tried a few of the shallow ones and I found them much more comfortable 🙂

• Thanks 1

I have a Harley Benton that I got as a deko. It's one of the ones that are a step up from their basic ones (I have a basic fretless one to compare to). It's actually a very nice acoustic bass, nice shaped and inlaid headstock, pin string holders in bridge, Fishman pre-amp, nicely finished and bound, satin body and neck and it's a 32" scale so doesn't feel too long. 

https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_clb_10sce_nt.htm?o=27&search=1567103103

Edit: mine is satin but the linked one is gloss. 

Edited by Maude
  • Thanks 1

My brother -in-law's got a Harley Benton acoustic bass, I think it's the most basic model.

It's a lot of fun, I've been tempted to get one myself for those times when I just spontaneously get the urge to pick up a bass and play.

Not too keen on the tone but I'm almost certain that's a phosphor bronze string thing rather than a Harley Benton thing.

Edited by Cato

2 minutes ago, Cato said:

Not too keen on the tone but I'm almost certain that's a phosphor bronze string thing rather than a Harley Benton thing.

Some people love bronze strings on an acoustic, others hate them. I hate them, all finger noise and clatter, but they are loud, no doubt why they all put them on. 

I've got Fender tapewounds on mine and really like the tone, especially amplified. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Maude said:

Some people love bronze strings on an acoustic, others hate them. I hate them, all finger noise and clatter, but they are loud, no doubt why they all put them on. 

I've got Fender tapewounds on mine and really like the tone, especially amplified. 

Trying one yesterday I was chatting to another chap and he suggested flatwounds as we both found the string handling noise excessive when amped up.

I suppose it depends on what you want to do - bronze roundwounds might be ideal if you want to do acoustic folk, roundwounds might be better if you want more of a poor man's EUB sound?

I do need to think hard about how much this bass will get used and for what.

My experience is that I get that bass and its feel and sound decide its function; after last nights band meeting I think we need to decide exactly what we mean by 'unplugged' - is it a quiet version of the band or might it be me and the guitarist doing a lunchtime pot in a wine bar?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Maude said:

I have a Harley Benton that I got as a deko. It's one of the ones that are a step up from their basic ones (I have a basic fretless one to compare to). It's actually a very nice acoustic bass, nice shaped and inlaid headstock, pin string holders in bridge, Fishman pre-amp, nicely finished and bound, satin body and neck and it's a 32" scale so doesn't feel too long. 

https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_clb_10sce_nt.htm?o=27&search=1567103103

Edit: mine is satin but the linked one is gloss. 

I was speaking to a guy at the rehearsal studio we use, he'd just bought and was very pleased with this Harley Benton which is cheaper https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_b_25m_acoustic_bass.htm

He was having a bit of a plonk on it and it certainly sounded the business. He said that he wasn't expecting the high quality for the relatively low cost.

• Like 1

Some of the HB ones get very good reviews.

I prefer the look of the B30 to the B35, but one reviewer complains the strings on the B35 are too close together, I would probably prefer that!

Sound a bit lacking in presence in the video here:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_b_25m_acoustic_bass.htm

The sample of the B30 sounds better.

What surprises me is that there seem to be very few duds out there!

Edited by Stub Mandrel

On 30/08/2019 at 09:36, Stub Mandrel said:

I do need to think hard about how much this bass will get used and for what.

My experience is that I get that bass and its feel and sound decide its function; after last nights band meeting I think we need to decide exactly what we mean by 'unplugged' - is it a quiet version of the band or might it be me and the guitarist doing a lunchtime pot in a wine bar?

Whichever one it is your acoustic bass will be for looks only. In order for it to be heard (even over a quietly strummed acoustic guitar) it will need amplification.

55 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

Whereas mine is the loudest thing in the room if I use it with the folk group I'm in. It is big and deep, this definitely has a bearing.

Large body will definitely help - that's why the double bass is so big. 

IME the bodies of most acoustic basses are only marginally bigger than their guitar counterparts which is why they struggle without amplification.