Why become a member? ×

Best wide comfortable strap

White Cloud

Fellow Baschatters

I've recently been lucky enough to acquire an Overwater Progress 3 deluxe - absolutely gorgeous looks, playability and tone: the only downside is that it is a bit of a heavyweight (and my shoulder is feeling it after an hour or two).

Can any of you recommend a wide and well padded strap that would assist ease the weight?

Thanks in advance!

I find the comfort strapp & neotech neoprene straps to be particularly comfy.

I have tried a wide leather strap but it was quite stiff & was uncomfortable where the edge dug in at the shoulder.

My '81 Precision is approximately the weight of an imploding star & the slight bounce of my (fender branded) neotech strap makes it feel less heavy. The extra long comfort strapp is a perfect length for a vintage pro thunderbird so I will be getting one for my other vintage pro.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

Don't want to hijack but anyone recommend a non leather super wide? 

Not sure what is defined as super wide but for a non-leather option I've had a Levy's 3.25" Neoprene strap that was pretty comfy.

https://www.levysleathers.com/product/guitar-strap-pm48np3-blk/

Edited by PJ-Bassist
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I tried loads of straps and indeed it became a bit of an obsession at one point. THE softest and most comfortable I have is made from ethically sourced Buffalo leather 🐃 

It’s a single layer, suede like on the inside, it literally flops into a heap when removed. I just bought another from eBay here 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F133055968613

Bit of a pain it’s from the US but we’ll worth it, it’ll last you forever! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gareth Hughes said:

They are leather, but Maruszczyk’s straps are so damn comfy. And very pliable.

Another vote for Maruszczyk straps.  Only problem I have is spelling the name and getting the pronunciation right!

• Like 1

I really the Mono GS1 Betty. It's wide, soft and well padded but the bit I like the best, but makes me odd as everyone else seems to want the opposite, is that it's not grippy at all. I hate a grippy strap that ends up dragging your shirt up your back and bunching it up on your shoulder. I like to play my bass in different positions, sometimes it's horizontal, other times it's angled up high and others down low, I like slippery 😀

It's also meat free! 

• Like 1

I'd love an Overwater bass but the weight has always been the issue that's prevented me from getting one.

A good strap makes you feel more comfortable. They can address problems like neck-dive, etc, but many straps also add to the weight! My wide leather Harvest strap adds at least a pound to the weight I'm carrying.

If weight is a problem either strengthen your shoulders by doing exercises (I've been doing this and it really works) or get a lighter bass.

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, chris_b said:

I'd love an Overwater bass but the weight has always been the issue that's prevented me from getting one.

A good strap makes you feel more comfortable. They can address problems like neck-dive, etc, but many straps also add to the weight! My wide leather Harvest strap adds at least a pound to the weight I'm carrying.

If weight is a problem either strengthen your shoulders by doing exercises (I've been doing this and it really works) or get a lighter bass.

I own a featherweight ACG & a lightweight Fender Jazz: I usually avoid any bass over 8.5lbs however, the Overwater just sounds and plays so wonderfully that I've decided that it is worth the weight... strengthening my shoulders could be a left-field (as in unexpected) but very useful idea! 

• Like 1

On ‎29‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 16:21, Gareth Hughes said:

They are leather, but Maruszczyk’s straps are so damn comfy. And very pliable. By comparison I have some similarly wide straps by Italia that make the bass seem heavier because the straps feel so stiff. Great straps, just stiff.

If they're leather, a good application or two of dubbin will soften them.

• Like 1