Why become a member? ×

Two basses into one amp!

Gunsfreddy2003

Make sure you get the Bigshot I/O and not the Bigshot AB/Y (that's for switching one signal between two amps).

If you don't need the gain controls, a simple AB/Y foot switch will do this.

Micro mixers don't switch the unused instrument out of the signal path, so you can end up with resonance or even feedback.

Another option is a lead with a Neutrik switching jack, that allows you to unplug one bass and plug in the other without getting huge 'clunk' noises out of the amp.

6 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Usually a mixer wouldn't be ideal for passive basses due to having too low an input impedance, but some of those linked are labelled 'high impedance' so may well be up to the job!

Edited by dannybuoy

They are well reviewed around here. If all you want is a simple passive A/B switch, it’s hard to make a bad one, they’re mostly all the same, just a footswitch hooked up to some jacks in a metal box! Some of the more expensive options (e.g. GigRig, Lehle) will have soft touch foot switches and relays though which makes them nicer to step on and also reduces the chance of any popping noises when switching.

Edited by dannybuoy

12 hours ago, Gunsfreddy2003 said:

Thanks guys, also found this - anyone tried or use their stuff?

http://www.brightonion.co.uk/ab/

I have a older dual AB looper by bright onion. It works fine and is well made, but one of the loops is labelled the wrong way. QA seems to have improved a bit since.

You can use an loop rather than an AB/Y - thats essentially what the LM2 is. Just don't plug anything into the loop send.

I use the Bigshot I/O - I went for that as it was reasonably simple and had the level adjust one one channel (as I was using one active and one passive bass at the time). 

The only downside with it is that there’s nothing to show which channel is selected, so if you fall over it at a gig there’s a frantic few seconds of stomping to figure out which channel and whether or not the mute is on. 

I speak from experience there.  

I gather the newer ones have leds. 

Edited by Jakester

7 minutes ago, Gunsfreddy2003 said:

Opted for the Bright Onions solution in the end - should be here in a few days.

Excellent choice.  I've tried all sorts of switchers over the years (Bassbone, Providence, Bigshot etc.), but the one I've settled on is a simple Bright Onions pedal that was custom-made for me.  For the money, a no-brainer!

6E29A1F6-CDCD-4BF2-AAD6-5AC9C8EF67A7.jpeg