Why become a member? ×

Walter Woods M1-100-8

rhino

At long last I have managed to lay my hands upon one of these highly sought after bass amps.
It is as good as "they" say - loud, approx 220 watts at 4 ohms, tonally very flexible, and lightweight.

I have tried it with a varity of basses, my 4 string aerodyne jazz, my son's 4 string Musicman Stingray and his Fender 1978 Musicmaster bass, a Wal fretless 5 string and a £3000 Czech upright bass. Each has it's own sound without colouration from the amp.
Channel 1 I believe to be for upright basses as it has the "in/out phase" switch which cancels out feedback and has a slightly deeper frequency on the bass control
Channel 2's Eq is slightly different, more lower mid and upper mid, and has a "1 mix 2" switch which gives the oppportunity of using both EQ settings for either channel.
I use the EQ at flat, add the bass & treble boost and run with the master volume at full and the channel volume wherever.
I am using a Markbass Traveler 1 x 15" cab and an Epifani 1 x 10" and horn cabinet. I could not wish for a better sound, it's clean , punchy, loud enough and cuts through guitars, drums, and Hammond organs without any problem.

I'm fortunate in that I work from home, which means I can (and do) spend countless hours practising and playing along with whatever is available and as the neighbours are all out , there's no complaints about volume!

Rhino.

Blimey, these things are like hens' teeth. Well done for getting hold of it, and thanks for the write-up.
One of the finest live bass sounds I have heard was Lincoln Goines playing his signature Fodera through a Walter Woods head into an Epifani 3x10 cab... a sound so lovely it made my heart ache.