Why become a member? ×

Musicman sub 5 USA
£550
Suffolk

cardinaljay

Hey everyone, I’m selling my Musicman Stingray sub 5 Bass. 

I have owned this for a few years now. It is an incredible bass but sadly it’s not being used.

If you know your basses then you will understand what you are looking at. If you’re not familiar with them; The original Sub series are like an original USA made bass that didn’t pass the “A Grade” in cosmetics so subsequently they were covered in a solid paint finish and sold as a Sub series... 

This bass is basically a USA Stingray... cool, huh!? 😁

The neck is black and the body a dark blue very resistant tough paint finish.

The body does have some natural blemish/paint wear from being played, nothing major though. The bass is in great condition otherwise and a stunner to play.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

cheers

jay 

1FEA5F7E-06CD-4601-9F60-FF51EEA8F659.jpeg

2D2C84D4-50E0-4D91-925E-B571A2AE4835.jpeg

AA5509F1-D407-4BC3-88FA-5ACC5067A759.jpeg

483DCDB3-3EEF-4C4A-BD94-27941EF876E6.jpeg

hi, slight correction if I may.  The SUB series was brought out as an initial attempt to produce a cheaper US built alternative, same factory, same hardware (although not stamped)  2 band EQ from the stingray and a body made from Poplar.  So what you really have here is a Stingray classic, |(the scratcplate from a classic actually fits these, I know because I changed it out) before they actually made one, poplar body, painted neck (saved money) and hard wearing tough as old boots paint job (also cheaper as it didn't require polishing or the wood to look fancy) slab cut body (saved on body finishing).

I have this exact model (and have owned a few other from the same era..).   A classic Musicman bass, don't be fooled by the SUB label or associate it with the later SUB models built outside the USA. 

So, there is nothing SUB standard (sic) these are excellent basses and well worth the money GLWTS!

(apologies is this sounded like a soapbox rant or whatever lol)

Edited by BaggyMan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...