Why become a member? ×

Gibson EB2 bass info please

walshy

Hello all, been offered one of these in a trade and it looks like an interesting thing, but I don’t know much about them. Does anyone have one/had one who can pass on some knowledge please? It’s a 1964 bass - serial number 67947. I know dating stuff like this can be difficult. All original bar the toggle apparently. 

Thanks Paul

6CA4AED4-8308-4EC5-A6C7-3838B09FDEE1.png

8A21D053-F748-4A31-8A40-4F8EAAAD9038.jpeg

95B2E68C-6A87-47CB-BCB9-547C29B4085B.jpeg

DDFBFB75-C7D5-468D-B882-63F87540FEF1.jpeg

8DE8C001-1260-480F-AEEC-9E3B803A5332.jpeg

• Like 1

Looks like a good 'un to me -  I have a '58 (pre-baritone) and a '69 (EB-2DC).  As you say, original push-button baritone switch has been changed for a toggle switch, finish looks to be original, and it has the pickguard which often go AWOL.  Usual top notch Gibson tone woods of the era; eg Brazilian rosewood board.

Bit of a one trick pony - a bass/mids heavy blues-rock tone, but does that trick so well (listen to "Stand Up" album Jethro Tull), and fast neck with the short scale length.   Used to be deeply unfashionable, but all old Gibsons seem to be appreciating - Andy Baxter would be selling that around the £2.5K mark.  Original case would be a big plus.

Edit: see http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/EB2.php  for more info 

Edited by Shaggy

31 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

Looks like a good 'un to me -  I have a '58 (pre-baritone) and a '69 (EB-2DC).  As you say, original push-button baritone switch has been changed for a toggle switch, finish looks to be original, and it has the pickguard which often go AWOL.  Usual top notch Gibson tone woods of the era; eg Brazilian rosewood board.

Bit of a one trick pony - a bass/mids heavy blues-rock tone, but does that trick so well (listen to "Stand Up" album Jethro Tull), and fast neck with the short scale length.   Used to be deeply unfashionable, but all old Gibsons seem to be appreciating - Andy Baxter would be selling that around the £2.5K mark.  Original case would be a big plus.

Edit: see http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/EB2.php  for more info 

Awesome thanks for that man, no case unfortunately but I quite like the look of it, fairly quirky. Yeah all original bar that so see how it sounds when I get my mits on it

1 hour ago, Shaggy said:

Used to be deeply unfashionable, but all old Gibsons seem to be appreciating 

These and the Epiphone Rivoli were used a lot more in pop music the 60s in the UK than many (and some popular myth) would have you believe. Apparently also used by Mark King on Love Meeting Love (first single of Level 42). 

Looks a very nice vintage bass there 👍

Edited by drTStingray

14 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

My take is that they have a lovely smooth, woody tone, very rich and deep, and very much the sound of the Yardbirds and Animals.

To many they are muddy, boomy rubbery and ill-defined. Both are true really, depends what you are after! The one pictured above makes me weak at the knees.

Agreed - these seem to be frequently strung with flats which with the naturally warm tone can make them muddy / thuddy (which some love.....), but with modern lightweight roundwounds they can be surprisingly articulate, especially the later twin pickup "D" models.

Strange to think that in 1964 this would have set you back more than a Fender Precision!

Think twice before using stainless roundwounds if you are going to use it a lot.  The frets on mine (which left my possession circa 1977) very quickly with Rotos and typically 2 gigs per week for 4 years or so.  Other than that I rather miss it, would like to try it out with modern amp etc.

Just now, 3below said:

Think twice before using stainless roundwounds if you are going to use it a lot.  The frets on mine (which left my possession circa 1977) very quickly with Rotos and typically 2 gigs per week for 4 years or so.  Other than that I rather miss it, would like to try it out with modern amp etc.

Yeah it has flats on it at the minute. I’ll give it a run through the Handbox R400 and the Aguilar DB751 and see how she sounds. I like flats so won’t have rounds on while in my possession 

• Like 1

Serials between 61 000 - 70 000 were circa 1962 - 1964. Funny thing is that 71 000 - 99 000 were circa 1962 - 1963! Gibson changed their numbering in 1975. Before that they had various numbering systems, so duplications occur.

EB-2, built during 1958 - 1961, and 1964 - 1970.

30 1/2" scale, 20 frets, nickel- or chrome-plated hardware.

One plastic-cover (metal-cover from 1964) pickup.

Vol, tone, from circa 1959 a pushbutton tone switch.

Also EB-2D with two pickups (1966 - 1972).

Source: Barry Moorhouse, Tony Bacon - The bass book.

Had a ‘66 EB2D. Necks are prone to snapping at the headstock so check it. The Mudbucker pickup is powerful, the Baritone switch tames it down a bit and originally were a push button. Short scale of course and some of the necks were a bit dogish (is that a real word?) Whilst I got rid of mine I still have a hankering for one but the prices now are prohibitive. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grahambythesea said:

Had a ‘66 EB2D. Necks are prone to snapping at the headstock so check it. The Mudbucker pickup is powerful, the Baritone switch tames it down a bit and originally were a push button. Short scale of course and some of the necks were a bit dogish (is that a real word?) Whilst I got rid of mine I still have a hankering for one but the prices now are prohibitive. 

Yeah I’m looking forward to having a try and see what she is like. Quite a cool looking thing

3 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

Luckily when mine fell off the strap the headstock stayed on, one machine head was no longer straight though. My thoughts exactly about missing it as Grahambythesea knows :).  Straplocks anyone !

1 minute ago, 3below said:

Luckily when mine fell off the strap the headstock stayed on, one machine head was no longer straight though. My thoughts exactly about missing it as Grahambythesea knows :).  Straplocks anyone !

So you reckon £2-2.5k is about right

On 28/08/2019 at 21:07, Shaggy said:

Strange to think that in 1964 this would have set you back more than a Fender Precision!

Why? A Fender P is a slab of wood roughly shaped with a neck bolted on. This is very well crafted guitar using old techniques to create a fine semi acoustic body with neck built in. It would be crazy if a P had been anything like the price of this in 64.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, walshy said:

So you reckon £2-2.5k is about right

From £1600 (USA) upwards seems to be the money being asked on the well known internet auction site. When you look for what they sold for on same site very few sales show.  Try it, see what you think, if you can, try it in a band situation.  I bought mine for £80 in 1974?  I was asked by a Denmark St shop, "was I sure I wanted it, not very popular these days"... a genuine concern not sales spiel, I was 14 at the time.  After a vast amount of gigs it was traded in for a Precision in 1977  and I had tripled my money, I was happy at the time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Why? A Fender P is a slab of wood roughly shaped with a neck bolted on. This is very well crafted guitar using old techniques to create a fine semi acoustic body with neck built in. It would be crazy if a P had been anything like the price of this in 64.

Mine was well crafted, nitro finish and well built.  It was a factory 2nd but I never worked out what the finish flaw was.   However, like many semis it was a pressed plywood body. not a  carved top. reverse wind machines were an interesting feature until you gor used to them.

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Agreed - I own and gig 5 vintage Gibsons and just 1 vintage Fender largely for that reason.  

I'd meant it's strange bearing in mind current relative values for a '64 EB-2 vs a pre-CBS '64 Fender P. 

9 hours ago, Shaggy said:

Agreed - I own and gig 5 vintage Gibsons and just 1 vintage Fender largely for that reason.  

I'd meant it's strange bearing in mind current relative values for a '64 EB-2 vs a pre-CBS '64 Fender P. 

Yes, just down to what styles were popular.