Why become a member? ×

Where have all the ashtrays gone? 🤪

oldslapper

13 hours ago, MartinB said:

Fun fact: Strats, Teles, Jazzmasters and Jaguars all originally had bridge covers. They're probably even rarer than the bass ashtrays, since palm muting is so much more common on guitar.

strat.jpg

tele.jpg

jazzmaster.jpg

Whooo!

I knew about Tele ones but that Strat one is lovely!

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/08/2019 at 11:17, Painy said:

Forgot to mention that the one time the bridge cover gets in the way is if I ever need to play with a pick (can't palm mute with a bridge cover).

To get around the problem I have made my bridge cover quick release using strong magnets counter-sunk and epoxied into the body. The screws are then epoxied to the bridge cover and the screw holes drilled out very slightly larger than the thread so they work as locating pins that slot in to stop lateral movement. 

If I ever have to use a pick I can just pop the bridge cover off and then back on again when I'm done. Also makes imageproxy.php?img=&key=4b3806f48250f55astring changes and setting intonation / action a lot less of a faff as I don't have to unscrew the cover to get to the bridge. 

IMG_20180905_091803.jpg

Genius 

• Thanks 1

On 12 September 2019 at 14:47, Davo-London said:

Madness!

I do like the idea of an ashtray mountain.  One in Europe and one in America.  James Jameson didn't take his off though ...

Image result for james jamerson bass

You sure that's Jamerson's? His and most other Ps from the 60s and 70s had at least another 1/4 in  higher action!! (6 mm). Because quite a few were ex upright players and played quite hard. You'd have been hard pressed to find many P or J basses in use with the covers fitted in the 70s from my recollection!! 

21 hours ago, drTStingray said:

You sure that's Jamerson's? His and most other Ps from the 60s and 70s had at least another 1/4 in  higher action!! (6 mm). Because quite a few were ex upright players and played quite hard. You'd have been hard pressed to find many P or J basses in use with the covers fitted in the 70s from my recollection!! 

As far as I understand it, this is not the "Funk Machine" (that is still missing), but another that he owned and gave to a friend on permanent loan.  It was sold recently at auction based on it being Jamerson's but the friend had mainly owned it and played it since the 60s.