Why become a member? ×

Had to play without an amp...

Lozz196

On Friday, the provided cab wasn’t working so just went straight to FOH/monitors from my trusty Para Driver. In all honesty if I could rely on monitoring I’d do this all the time, made pretty much no difference to me. 

• Like 2

I've always liked the idea of this.

Trouble is, nobody I've ever plated alongside has had a PA with enough bass - I was always advised that, unless the PA has subs, it won't work!

That could be a load of old you-know-what - I'd love to know the truth! 😀

19 hours ago, spongebob said:

I've always liked the idea of this.

Trouble is, nobody I've ever plated alongside has had a PA with enough bass - I was always advised that, unless the PA has subs, it won't work!

That could be a load of old you-know-what - I'd love to know the truth! 😀

Hmmm. I guess that depends. Firstly, how does your bass sound? Anthony Jackson gives subwoofers quite a lot to do, Duff McKagan not so much. Secondly, many 'tops' do a decent job down  to 50Hz or below these days. You might get away with it.

I had to do the same a few weeks back, the cab provided died, so went straight from my vtdi into the p.a., the venue is notorious for bad sound, the p.a. is only ever used for vocals and bass drum... 🤔

Kiddie on the desk was on his first night, owner was outside loved right up and didn't give a monkey's, monitors have never worked there as far as I recall.

It was a fun set... everyone out front could hear me but I couldn't, hey ho... 😄

Edited by doomed

The first time I didn't use an amp I didn't like it. But now, I'm going ampless everywhere I go if I can.

I guess it also depends on the venues you usually play. In my case, the sound guys always give me a DI or I go to the PA from my board or amp. So, I build a board to go ampless and I'm pretty happy with it. I also have IEM system. It's the best option I think.

3 hours ago, Jack said:

Hmmm. I guess that depends. Firstly, how does your bass sound? Anthony Jackson gives subwoofers quite a lot to do, Duff McKagan not so much. Secondly, many 'tops' do a decent job down  to 50Hz or below these days. You might get away with it.

I’m in the Duff camp, so probably makes the hearing via monitors easier for a start, as well as giving the actual PA speakers less of a task to deal with.

Have gone ampless a few times on vocal PAs using some of the older generation zoom BFX boxes. It works pretty well for what I was doing which was alternating between bass and guitar in duo and trio stuff with no drums. I wouldn't want to rely on that set up with my current band unless we were firing the full PA with subs and even then I'd want a good monitor in front of me. 

My guitarist who is also the sound tech guy has recently gone FRFR "ampless" despite owning some seriously nice amps, he is a convert and he is trying to persuade me to go the same way. I think I'd just feel a bit "naked" without a rig behind me when with a full band rather than doing duo/ trio stuff

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

I’m in the Duff camp, so probably makes the hearing via monitors easier for a start, as well as giving the actual PA speakers less of a task to deal with.

If I remember rightly, me and you share a love of the paradriver? Clank really helps with not needing subs!

49 minutes ago, Jack said:

If I remember rightly, me and you share a love of the paradriver? Clank really helps with not needing subs!

Most certainly do, the best kept secret for bassists out there seeing as it`s not a pedal promoted for bass, more multi-instrument. That clank really works and definitely helps in not needing subs for the lows.

I've discovered how amazing it is to use good floor wedges and/ or my very cheap shure in ear monitors this summer. I always use my sansamp or tonehammer di pedal, so amp is purely for my benefit.

I've got a gig this evening, last time i was at this venue, there was a wedge pointed at my head and it sounded so clear and full i muted my amp completely! My amp is already in the car but i won't be using it! Just my bass in a gig bag and my compact pedal board in a soft case, love that as much as the sound on stage!