Why become a member? ×

Sanding the neck

wishface

Yes a green pan scourer is perfect for this.

You can really go to town on with it... lots of varnish dust comes off and it's wee a bit scary.  😉

Finish with Birchwood Casey gun stock wax (like Musicman do) for a super smooth feel. I do this on all my basses except the Ric.

124171_47260_is.jpg.eb2665ec87724dfaa848b6511fdda947.jpg

• Like 1

I don't have any gun stock wax (or any guns :D), will linseed oil do? I have a bottle that's been in the cupboard for years since I heard many moons ago it was good for cleaning fretboards. Back when I had a very cheap fretless (I call those the Percy Jones years). 

What do you mean by a green pan scourer? I'm sure that's a stupid question, but I'm having a mental block and the only thing I can think of are brillo pads, which are full of soap and probably not advisable

I stripped the finish off of a MM SUB and a Fender Roadworn, both had become sticky. First I used Nitromors and then finished it off with fine sandpaper. I then sealed them with Danish Oil, sanded back a bit, resealed and then a final very light ‘sanding’ with fine wire wool. I was pleased with the results.

Edited by ezbass

The very best thing for doing this is 0000 wire wool, it leaves tiny ridges along the neck, barely discernable but enough to reduce friction on your hand from a gloss finish on polyurethane, nitro for some reason suffers less from friction I find. The trouble is though that eventually the effect gets polished back by your hand which means doing the same again, eventually you're going to sand down into the wood but think of a good few years

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rikki_Sixx said:

Like you'd find on the top of a classic sponge. You can buy packs of scourers for pennies in most supermarkets, pound shops and the like, seperate from the spongy-bit.

scourer-sponge-greenyellow-1x10.jpg

really, as simple as that?

Are there any potential pitfalls?

Is linseed oil ok to seal the wood afterwards?

19 hours ago, Rikki_Sixx said:

Like you'd find on the top of a classic sponge. You can buy packs of scourers for pennies in most supermarkets, pound shops and the like, seperate from the spongy-bit.

scourer-sponge-greenyellow-1x10.jpg

Just bought a pack of those from Savers. They do nothing. Probably good for getting some grime off, but that's it. 

8 minutes ago, wishface said:

Just bought a pack of those from Savers. They do nothing. Probably good for getting some grime off, but that's it. 

Scotchbrite looks the same but has aluminium oxide particles in it and can be very aggressive.

I would use wire wool or 600 grit wet and dry if I was to do it again, but I would think twice first. Unless you are a speedfreak guitarist most glossy necks will mellow after some use without losing finish.

6 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Scotchbrite looks the same but has aluminium oxide particles in it and can be very aggressive.

I would use wire wool or 600 grit wet and dry if I was to do it again, but I would think twice first. Unless you are a speedfreak guitarist most glossy necks will mellow after some use without losing finish.

I',m interested in doing it because sticky neck is a problem and hurts my thumb behind the neck. Not sure what you mean by mellow

22 hours ago, Christine said:

The very best thing for doing this is 0000 wire wool, it leaves tiny ridges along the neck, barely discernable but enough to reduce friction on your hand from a gloss finish on polyurethane, nitro for some reason suffers less from friction I find. The trouble is though that eventually the effect gets polished back by your hand which means doing the same again, eventually you're going to sand down into the wood but think of a good few years

Look no further than this for just a few pence

4 hours ago, wishface said:

I',m interested in doing it because sticky neck is a problem and hurts my thumb behind the neck.

Don't drag your thumb.

If you move your hand with some pressure still in your grip you'll be sliding your thumb and a sticky neck can cause this. Release all the pressure in your left hand, let go and move your thumb.

• Like 1

That's your problem:

New features

The focus of the upgrade has been to improve the sound and necks of the basses. Marcus Miller worked alongside Sire to redesign the pickups with stronger magnets and coils to deliver a cleaner and deeper tone.

Sire have overhauled the neck design. A matte finish replaces the sticky gloss coats for a smoother feel. Neck radius is extended to 9 ½” and new medium frets make for a quicker and more accurate playing experience. Alder body basses also boast a sleek new Ebony fretboard in the place of Rosewood.

The only other cosmetic change is the pickup guard, which is also installed on five-string basses as well as four string.

It's not just GLOSS, it's special STICKY GLOSS!

But seriously... the finish is obviously prone to this and it's not just you, so I wouldn't lose sleep about matting it down with a fine abrasive - then get on with enjoying it.

Edited by Stub Mandrel