Why become a member? ×

double micing?

Timface

No, but what I can tell you is that when I saw the title of this thread, I initially read it as "double [b]mincing[/b]". I thought maybe it was something to do with Julian Clary and Graham Norton...

[quote name='Timface' post='37363' date='Jul 26 2007, 03:18 PM']can someone explain to me what it is? and what it does?[/quote]

You can adjust each mic's volume and tone to pull out the best sound onto the PA. A desk man also told me it increases your S/N ratio - but don't ask me why!

Hamster

'one of those loose terms'

In it's simplest terms it's using more than one mic to record a source. How that is carried out is open to a zillion options from 'MS' to 'boundary recording' or recording from the front and rear of the speaker (in the case of open back cabinets or some custom closed backs like the Peavey guitar range that feature a Mic inside the cabinet). Using 2 different types of Mic's on one cone for example can open up some tonal possibilities when they are mixed together especially if they are switched out of phase. The MS technique (- there are plenty of audio forums that can describe with pictures better than I can here to explain) uses mics at a tangent to each other and then mixed phase to create a fuller sound. (I hope I described that ok!!)

You could also have 2 mics on one source that are a small distance apart to pick up differences in tones from that source.. for example, a mic facing an acoustic guitar bridge and one pointing the sound hole. 2 completely different source tones.

[quote name='Hamster' post='37381' date='Jul 26 2007, 03:52 PM']A desk man also told me it increases your S/N ratio - but don't ask me why!

Hamster[/quote]

In theory it could, but there are other reasons why it would decrease it too, especially in a noise environment such as 'the stage' ;o)

[quote name='dood' post='37386' date='Jul 26 2007, 03:53 PM']You could also have 2 mics on one source that are a small distance apart to pick up differences in tones from that source.. for example, a mic facing an acoustic guitar bridge and one pointing the sound hole. 2 completely different source tones.[/quote]
Quite a few acoustic bassists record like this - either 2 mics set up in different positions, or 1 mic and a piezo pickup on the bridge.