Why become a member? ×

Thunder/rumble noises on bass

tickbite

At rehearsal, the band became aware of a strange, thunder-like bass rumble in the middle of a song about an hour into the rehearsal. I found the noise was coming from one of my two cabinets: and when I reduced the amp master volume, it reduced the volume of the rumbling, so I unplugged that cabinet and continued the rehearsal with the other cabinet.  

Back at home now, I’m thinking the problem could have been with the speaker cable or the amp, maybe.

Has anyone  experienced a similar issue, and identified  the cause?

Sounds likely you may have been over-doing the low end. Did you happen to notice what the speaker cones were doing? Were they moving excessively (that means noticeably - you shouldn't be able to see the cones flying in and out)? Were you using large amounts of low end (under 100hz) boost? Does the cab you disconnected have a more extended low frequency range than the other (the one you kept using may have simply not been capable of reproducing the very low frequencies it was being fed)?  I'd experiment with your eq, using the cab you disconnected on its own, see what happens and adjust the eq accordingly.

Edited by Dan Dare

29 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Sounds likely you may have been over-doing the low end. Did you happen to notice what the speaker cones were doing? Were they moving excessively (that means noticeably - you shouldn't be able to see the cones flying in and out)? Were you using large amounts of low end (under 100hz) boost? Does the cab you disconnected have a more extended low frequency range than the other (the one you kept using may have simply not been capable of reproducing the very low frequencies it was being fed)?  I'd experiment with your eq, using the cab you disconnected on its own, see what happens and adjust the eq accordingly.

Maybe try a HPF (High Pass Filter) such as the Thumpinator/ MicroThumpinator, or similar other, to reduce subsonic & near subsonic signals going to the amp?

http://sfxsound.com/microthumpinator/

*I have no affiliation to the makers of the Thumpinator etc. :)

Edited by Teebs

• 2 weeks later...

I got one from a member here and wondered where is the best place in my signal chain.  I use a separate preamp and power amp rig and no effects. I have a walkabout head as a spare so that needs considering too. 

In my separates rig, should I have it before the input so that i filter out the bad stuff before any thing gets to the input of my preamp, should I have it in the send/return loop or on the output of the preamp before connecting to the power amp.? 

For the walkabout should it be before the input or in the send/return loop?

• 2 months later...
On 06/09/2019 at 16:30, jazzyvee said:

I got one from a member here and wondered where is the best place in my signal chain.  I use a separate preamp and power amp rig and no effects. I have a walkabout head as a spare so that needs considering too. 

In my separates rig, should I have it before the input so that i filter out the bad stuff before any thing gets to the input of my preamp, should I have it in the send/return loop or on the output of the preamp before connecting to the power amp.? 

For the walkabout should it be before the input or in the send/return loop?

I would put it before the input but it won't hurt to try both to see what gives tyhe best result.