Why become a member? ×

Heavy Weather

wishface

19 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Yep if its not 20 degrees and sunny i'm moaning. :laugh1:

You live in Scotland. When is it ever 20 degrees and sunny? 😃

19 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

You two are brilliant. Mental.........but brilliantly funny.

Dave 

Aye thang quew!

We're here all week!

14 minutes ago, Teebs said:

Hahahaha! :D

Thanks Dave smiley

(no TLRTs left.. :( )

Whereas i do because i don't dish them out like sweeties to all and sundry. I am considered in my responses and only use TLRTs responsibly.

:sun_bespectacled:

• Haha 1

Great intellectual debate there chaps 😂👍

I played an outdoor gig on Sunday afternoon and as well as the usual sweatiness problems, I came across some I never had before.

For those who've ever played in a marquee and encountered the neck covered with condensation issue, this was the exact opposite - we were playing in direct sunshine in around 32 degrees. Areas of the neck not covered by my hand became uncomfortably hot and this felt very odd - this was even more surprising after playing a solo and returning to the bottom end of the neck which was extremely warm!! Tuning issues occur in these conditions, but my Stingray Special, with roasted maple neck seemed to be ok. The body of the bass was, however covered with sweat......

When I moved my amp afterwards, the metal case was far hotter than I've ever noticed before - heat from the amp itself added to an hour in direct and very strong sunlight! 

9 minutes ago, Teebs said:

Why, thank you drTStingray! :)

That experience you had sounds quite worrying - that king of extreme heat can't be good for either bass, amp - or bassist for that matter! :/

You're welcome 👍

And yes agreed - hat and shades also essential (sunburn and sweat in eyes issues) - the side effect being looking cool (er), well maybe 😁 as well.

In my experience, anything over 30 degrees is not comfortable to play in, outdoor (unless well shielded from the sun) or indoor (without aircon). Any events around the end of August are likely candidates for this but this last weekend in the UK was exceptional!! 

Amp seems to be fine - I DId direct from amp to PA and sound was good - but an extended period in that heat might affect amps - the guitar amps around me seemed to be fine though, loud as ever 😧

Edited by drTStingray

Also played on Sunday afternoon outdoors but thankfully under a canopy. It was still uncomfortably hot and I did not enjoy the the gig.

Also not happy with the sound outdoors, it seemed a little thin without the reverberation of 4 walls.

Played a gig during that really hot spell a month ago... hadn't played that venue in quite a few years and I had forgotten about all the wood, low ceilings and lack of ventilation etc.... and d*ckhead here turns up in his usual black jeans, t shirt and baseball cap combo. Jesus I nearly melted. Fortunately it was just a 45 minute support and 2 pints of ice water and a pint of Doom Bar just about got me through... had to wring my jeans out when I got back. Ugh..

6 hours ago, Skinnyman said:

You live in Scotland. When is it ever 20 degrees and sunny? 😃

Aye thang quew!

We're here all week!

Whereas i do because i don't dish them out like sweeties to all and sundry. I am considered in my responses and only use TLRTs responsibly.

:sun_bespectacled:

I can remember that day and have vivid memories of sun-bathing for those 2 hrs. :laugh1:

Are you two mates in real life or just on BC.........or am i picking up some scent of sarcasm between you that is harbouring a deep hatred of each other.........OR........are you just a couple of nutters who love life and extracting the urine from each other obviously not literally.

Keep it going thos cause it brightens up many a dull day for me. :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nicko said:

Yet another reason to forgo the bass solo IMHO 😊

Good lord, no!! Jazz funk numbers were in the set and I was called to do them so obligatory 😬 I was also using an octaver and envelope filter in one of the songs so playing at 12th fret for a lot of it!! A bit Bootsie/Worrall for that one - good fun though - Stingray Special sounded absolutely thunderous!! 

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I can remember that day and have vivid memories of sun-bathing for those 2 hrs. :laugh1:

Are you two mates in real life or just on BC.........or am i picking up some scent of sarcasm between you that is harbouring a deep hatred of each other.........OR........are you just a couple of nutters who love life and extracting the urine from each other obviously not literally.

Keep it going thos cause it brightens up many a dull day for me. :laugh1:

Dave

Aw, thanks, Dave (and ReggaeB)

I've never met Young Teebs and, unless there's a weird stalker thing going on (which, let's be frank here, there could be...), he's never met me.

So in his case, it's your third scenario. He's a p#ss-taking little scamp who has no respect for his elders and betters. Me? I'm going with number two on the list - I can't stand the fekker 😀

(Nah, not really. We save that for That Ricky4000. He's a right bar steward, he is.....)

(Runs away giggling)

Edited by Skinnyman
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Skinnyman said:

Aw, thanks, Dave (and ReggaeB)

I've never met Young Teebs and, unless there's a weird stalker thing going on (which, let's be frank here, there could be...), he's never met me.

So in his case, it's your third scenario. He's a p#ss-taking little scamp who has no respect for his elders and betters. Me? I'm going with number two on the list - I can't stand the fekker 😀

(Nah, not really. We save that for That Ricky4000. He's a right bar steward, he is.....)

(Runs away giggling)

That's right Ricky4000 usually joins in this craziness. Is he on holiday or missing in action somewhere ? 

Dave