Why become a member? ×

Extender tuners

Quilly

Currently playing in a rock band that cover a lot of songs In DADG tuning. Sussing out a bass extender tuning machine for convenience while gigging . I’m just not convinced that with a flick of a lever the bass will perfectly be in tune to D and then perfectly back to E. I’ve a hunch that I’ll still need to fine tune it...which would defeat the purpose imo. I’ve worked out that a 1/4 turn of the tuning machine is all that’s required (more or less) . At around £100 I’m not sure if it’s worth it? Anyone using these ? 

Got them on all my basses - they work fine once set up properly. The only time I ever had an issue was on a Spector with a brass nut and I think it just had a snaggy nut, 5 minutes with a file would have fixed it. 

Brilliant bits of kit IMHO

On 26/08/2019 at 21:25, Quilly said:

Currently playing in a rock band that cover a lot of songs In DADG tuning. Sussing out a bass extender tuning machine for convenience while gigging . I’m just not convinced that with a flick of a lever the bass will perfectly be in tune to D and then perfectly back to E. I’ve a hunch that I’ll still need to fine tune it...which would defeat the purpose imo. I’ve worked out that a 1/4 turn of the tuning machine is all that’s required (more or less) . At around £100 I’m not sure if it’s worth it? Anyone using these ? 

They need to be set up right, and then they are accurate. I find that to work well they need to be oiled a bit even if the manual does not mention it. 

You can get it for substantially less from a ebay seller in the US, I think it may be 'bassspecialties' but I don't remember. I've bought a couple and ended up paying about £50-60 (a few years back, I admit)

• Like 1

Michael Manring has 6 detuners on his bass (one on each tuner on the headstock, one lever on each side of the bridge with 3 positions), and it's working fine. I had some Hipshot tuners on my basses, and once very fine tuned and oiled, they work very well. The nut is also very important as mentioned above. For oiling a drop of sewing macine oil is perfect.

Check out this crazy Hyperbass with, in fact, 8 "pickups" in it. :shok: