Why become a member? ×

getting endorsed

ali-stare

I think we have a few endorsees on these forums, or at least former endorsees. String endorsements are easy enough to get, provided you are gigging a lot and willing to promote the endorsement on your website and at gigs. However, bass guitar endorsements are quite hard to get and really rely on television appearances.

Dood's endorsed by a few names. I think you have to approach them and sell yourself. Get a press pack together and send it to the company, put in a CV, CD, stage and studio photos and a covering letter demonstrating that you've been a life long user of their gear. Helps if they already know you too.

Lane Baldwin talks about endorsement deals [url="http://www.laneonbass.com/eden.htm"]here[/url] and on his myspace blog [url="http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=80056738&blogID=197949021&MyToken=463851ad-ebca-45ea-a50a-b39dbaa27086"]here[/url]. I wouldn't say Eden are uncoloured in my experience though, I had to sell mine because it wasn't letting me hear the upper mids from my Smiths. They are good amps with the right bass however.

Hi all.

Well, I guess an endorsement is a kinda 'business' deal. "You scratch mine and I'll scratch yours." Simply, if company XYZ feels that they will benefit from adding a musician to their rosta then *hopefully* said musician can stand to gain from the 'deal' too. As mentioned above, this can be anything from getting ya strings at a better price or in some cases.. payment for performances can be in guitars! Seen it with my own eyes too! ;o)

My Guitarist, Andy James released his second album last week. He is on the Ernie Ball rosta and has a good relationship with Peavey amongst others. The guy is a monster on guitar. I mean from a showman point of view, he has 12 fingers. This kinda playing gets him noticed.. and EB like that.. when he's playing their guitars.

He won a national guitar competition against 100's of awesome players... on an OLP!!!!!

CK is spot on. You need a presspack - a good promo/portfolio. There are examples out there on the net. (dont fill it with BS, they probably get 100 of those a week) - all of the above.. press clippings, album releases, what you are doing at the moment and where you intend to take it. CD's, videos etc. Companies like to see you are hoping to have a future with them.

For example.. I go ON and ON and ON and ON about Shuker. Gawd.. it's lucky I like them and not hate! lol lol lol

I had a short-lived Warwick endorsement... this was back when my old band were doing pretty well, we had a big festival appearance coming up, we had the album out, and were pretty active. At the time, a lot of Warwick's UK endorsers had slipped below the radar - Stuart Zender had left Jamiroquai, Glen Diani wasn't doing anything after One Minute Silence split up, and so on, so they were after new blood.

I got our manager at the time to send them our press pack, and they got back to me and offered me an endorsement... this wasn't a full-on "free basses" deal though, more like a 60% off list price deal. So I got a Streamer Jazzman... and really didn't like it (horrible, horrible, baseball-bat neck). :)

In the end, I told Warwick I wasn't interested in pursuing the endorsement anymore, and sold the Jazzman for more or less list price. :huh: Thank you Warwick!

Basically, you have to be actively gigging in reasonably high-profile situations, with some visibility at gigs and in the press. You need a good press pack, and a tenacious manager to chase it up. :huh:

When I was in InSoFar we got endorsed by Dean so I got a Dean Edge Q4 bass for cost price, and we got endorsed by Rotosound, so I got lots of sets of strings with discount. No longer in the band, no longer have the deals but not really bothered. I have better basses now (tho I do want to get another Edge at some point coz it was a fine bass for the money) and I can get strings from Status for about 50p a set more than the Rotosound deal.

In addition to my Warwick story, the guitarists in my old band were offered a guitar endorsement with ESP (through another band we played with quite regularly). The problem was, ESP only offered them the cheap LTD guitars to choose from, and they couldn't find ones they actually liked... :) They'd have had to have upgraded the pickups, have a proper pro setup done, fret dressing, etc to get them to sound have as good as their Gibsons! So, they didn't bother...

I have endorsement/player deals with the following companies

Tone Factor - Pedals
Subdecay - Pedals
Overwater - Strings, Basses and EA Amps
Valenti - Basses

I don't get anything free, well sometimes I do but I get lots of custom stuff done that isn't really available to the general public.

[quote name='dood' post='2439' date='May 19 2007, 08:58 PM']For example.. I go ON and ON and ON and ON about Shuker. Gawd.. it's lucky I like them and not hate! lol lol lol[/quote]

Not noticed that :) ha ha ha

A fellow folkin' band mate I know just phoned up the boss of well known UK Amp company and got a deal where they supply the band with their PA and backline - lust like that - all they do is have a "we use and endorse" thing on their website and give teh co feedback on their kit. They get some new lines to test too.

[quote name='Russ' post='2461' date='May 19 2007, 09:21 PM']I had a short-lived Warwick endorsement... this was back when my old band were doing pretty well, we had a big festival appearance coming up, we had the album out, and were pretty active. At the time, a lot of Warwick's UK endorsers had slipped below the radar - Stuart Zender had left Jamiroquai, Glen Diani wasn't doing anything after One Minute Silence split up, and so on, so they were after new blood.

I got our manager at the time to send them our press pack, and they got back to me and offered me an endorsement... this wasn't a full-on "free basses" deal though, more like a 60% off list price deal. So I got a Streamer Jazzman... and really didn't like it (horrible, horrible, baseball-bat neck). :)

In the end, I told Warwick I wasn't interested in pursuing the endorsement anymore, and sold the Jazzman for more or less list price. :huh: Thank you Warwick!

Basically, you have to be actively gigging in reasonably high-profile situations, with some visibility at gigs and in the press. You need a good press pack, and a tenacious manager to chase it up. :huh:[/quote]

I had an artist endorsement thingy from Warwick too for a while - got uber discount and some sets of Warwick blacks, plus the loan of a couple of spankingly nice Thumb 5 neck thru basses. Got to play a few different Warwicks in gigs and stuff too. Then MAD had their big change around and moved to Manchester or wherever they are now. I've lactated more than I've had word back from them since then (and I don't exactly spurt milk out of my nips).

Warwick are in Manchester. Me and my guitarist buddy were being fixed up a Warwick/Framus endorsement before our band split. At the mo I am still endorsed by Knucklehead, and I also had an endorsement with Sandberg.

It's all about highlighting what you can offer these companies in terms of exposure for them, so if you are regularly playing big gigs, get in touch with some companies and really big up what you are doing and the advantages of them endorsing you!

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='3107' date='May 20 2007, 10:17 PM']I have endorsement/player deals with the following companies

Tone Factor - Pedals
Subdecay - Pedals
Overwater - Strings, Basses and EA Amps
Valenti - Basses

I don't get anything free, well sometimes I do but I get lots of custom stuff done that isn't really available to the general public.[/quote]

You in a solo/in a band? Got a site? I'm quite interested to hear what you're doing with all that nice gear :)

Edit: never mind, I've just found your site!

Edited by Waldo

I'm endorsed by Elixir and got it just through emailing them with my CV and hoping for the best :) Have been with them for about three years but my contact is leaving at the end of this month so we'll see if they extend my contract or not.

Cheers,
Alun

[quote name='dood' post='2439' date='May 19 2007, 08:58 PM']Hi all.

Well, I guess an endorsement is a kinda 'business' deal. "You scratch mine and I'll scratch yours." Simply, if company XYZ feels that they will benefit from adding a musician to their rosta then *hopefully* said musician can stand to gain from the 'deal' too. As mentioned above, this can be anything from getting ya strings at a better price or in some cases.. payment for performances can be in guitars! Seen it with my own eyes too! ;o)

My Guitarist, Andy James released his second album last week. He is on the Ernie Ball rosta and has a good relationship with Peavey amongst others. The guy is a monster on guitar. I mean from a showman point of view, he has 12 fingers. This kinda playing gets him noticed.. and EB like that.. when he's playing their guitars.

He won a national guitar competition against 100's of awesome players... on an OLP!!!!!

CK is spot on. You need a presspack - a good promo/portfolio. There are examples out there on the net. (dont fill it with BS, they probably get 100 of those a week) - all of the above.. press clippings, album releases, what you are doing at the moment and where you intend to take it. CD's, videos etc. Companies like to see you are hoping to have a future with them.

For example.. I go ON and ON and ON and ON about Shuker. Gawd.. it's lucky I like them and not hate! lol lol lol[/quote]

And you do go on about Shuker, How many sales before the free guitar? lol.

Edited by simon73

• 4 years later...

ive got three endorsement deals, string deals with picato and innovation upright strings and a clothing deal with funk rock clothing. Both of those companies I either approached or someone sent a pitch to them for me along with their recommendation. I've also got a recent bass guitar artist deal endorsement with overwater....this time they approached me! Pretty chuffed with that but I think if your gigging enough and nice and approachable then just email them with what your doing and they might get back to you. You'll be surprised at the response you get.

Chlo x

why does everybody talk about being "endorsed" by such and such company?

surely the musician is the endorser of a company's product(s), because they believe the product is a good product and/or so that they get free/cheap stuff. the company as the endorsee hopes that legions of fanboys/girls will then try to emulate their heroes by buying said product.

I don't mean to sound too cynical, but it makes no sense to me to talk about the companies endorsing individual musicians ;)