Why become a member? ×

Yamaha EUB

gypsyjazzer

I've played a SLB200 and own an Eminence and use to own an Aria SWB--Lite.

The Yamaha and Eminence both offer the best double bass type feel of the 'stick' electric uprights. 

I bought the Eminence because I thought the acoustic body would produce a more authentic double bass sound than the Yamaha but, in my experience, either sound pretty similar to an amplified double bass.

• Like 1

Good question. The SLB is a nice instrument, but incredibly expensive. I found that while it felt a bit like a double bass it sounded nothing like one. It ms useful to practice with at home but while the frame is good, it’s not as deep as a real  double bass. Yamaha do apparently do an add on that will replicate most accurately the depth, but it seems a bit weird they don’t include this if you’re spending £4k. Capitalism I guess!

The Eminence is a nice bass and does sound a lot more like a DB. I couldn’t get on with the weird rest that presses into your body. Personally I felt it was an inelegant solution, and it quickly got on my nerves.

Im actually getting an MK bass built to my specs which accurately copies the contours of my bass. I’m hoping this will give me the perfect practice bass - something I’ve been missing. I’ll let you know how I get on!

I have the SLB 200 and used it for gigs for 3 years before I got a DB. Now I use it at rehearsals instead of hauling the DB around and still use it on a few gigs where space is an issue. It is much better than the Stagg I had and sounds OK but I can't get the DB sound from it that some players can get as seen on videos.

The body is fine with me and I feel comfortable with it even though it is not exactly like a DB.I have played an Eminence and loved the feel and sound which was more like a DB. I got a very good deal on my Yamaha (used) but new they are a crazy price. If I were looking for another EUB I would go for the Eminence or MK, good sound and they are cheaper than the SLB, but for the present it serves its purpose for me.

Edited by Staggering on