Why become a member? ×

Warm Up Before Practice

lavaboi

Usually a couple of chromatic exercises and stretch each hand and fingers without a bass so that they feel loose. Nothing much more than that really but I’m only really playing soul/disco so it’s nothing that requires huge dexterity or speed.

• Like 1

Before I even touch the bass I do some gentle stretches for a couple of minutes.  I then do arpeggios starting at the twelfth fret and slowly work my way down, followed by some chromatic scales. 

I also "warm down"  for a minute or so with more stretches after a practice session...which is something you don't often hear being recommended.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikel said:

/\ This. Its Rock and Roll FFS. Warm up? In my day blah blah blah.

Yeah...only wimps warm up...not macho rock and rollers !!  Personally, I'd rather be an injury free wimp than suffer from all types of physical problems further down the line.  Not saying that warm ups prevent injury problems, but they certainly help to reduce the chances of experiencing them. Prevention is better than cure....even in "Rock and Roll"...and in ANY day. 😉

https://www.notreble.com/buzz/2011/07/07/health-fitness-for-the-working-bassist-–-part-3-warm-up-exercise-tips/

Edited by Coilte

1 hour ago, Coilte said:

Yeah...only wimps warm up...not macho rock and rollers !!  Personally, I'd rather be an injury free wimp than suffer from all types of physical problems further down the line.  Not saying that warm ups prevent injury problems, but they certainly help to reduce the chances of experiencing them. Prevention is better than cure....even in "Rock and Roll"...and in ANY day. 😉

https://www.notreble.com/buzz/2011/07/07/health-fitness-for-the-working-bassist-–-part-3-warm-up-exercise-tips/

All fine and dandy by me. If you have the time or the inclination to do warm up exercises then good for you. I am very much a semi pro/pub band player. If I were a pro musician or indeed part of the act was dancing and gymnastics then I would "Warm up" but as I am not going to put my body under any undue or unexpected strain then no.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, mikel said:

All fine and dandy by me. If you have the time or the inclination to do warm up exercises then good for you. I am very much a semi pro/pub band player. If I were a pro musician or indeed part of the act was dancing and gymnastics then I would "Warm up" but as I am not going to put my body under any undue or unexpected strain then no.

The human hand is not designed for playing bass, and so it is under some strain when we play. Warming up helps to alleviate the strain, as does good technique. Regardless of the status of a bass player..i.e. pro or semi pro, amateur, playing tiny pubs or stadiums etc., the muscles and tendons required to play are the same for ALL bass players. As any sportsperson will tell you, it is a good idea to warm up muscles and tendons before "putting them to work". 

As for the "inclination"..that  is entirely up to you.  Time...we are only talking about a couple of minutes...five or six maybe. Small expense if it minimises the risk of potential injuries IMO.  

Edited by Coilte

I'm sure I read an interview with Steve Harris somewhere, and he mentioned that he doesn't do warm ups or practice much if at all before gigs. I'm almost certain that playing with such a light touch he doesn't feel the need to. As I have learned to play fairly standard classic/ heavy rock tunes  with a much lighter touch also over the years , and combined with low string action, I too don't feel the need to do warm up exercises. Just plug and start playing. My hands and fingers have not suffered in the slightest since doing this.

I guess maybe it is something that is dependant on actual playing style, bass setup, and complexity of fret board gymnastics which dictate the need to do warm up excercises.

1 hour ago, Bleat said:

I'm sure I read an interview with Steve Harris somewhere, and he mentioned that he doesn't do warm ups or practice much if at all before gigs. I'm almost certain that playing with such a light touch he doesn't feel the need to. As I have learned to play fairly standard classic/ heavy rock tunes  with a much lighter touch also over the years , and combined with low string action, I too don't feel the need to do warm up exercises. Just plug and start playing. My hands and fingers have not suffered in the slightest since doing this.

I guess maybe it is something that is dependant on actual playing style, bass setup, and complexity of fret board gymnastics which dictate the need to do warm up excercises.

http://bassguitarplayerworld.com/beginner/warming-up/        In my estimation for every bassist who shuns warm ups there is another who uses them as part of their practice schedule. There is a lot of truth in your last paragraph above, but IMO for the sake of a few minutes, why not "err" on the side of caution and warmup anyway ?  Just because problems are not apparent right now does not mean that they won't happen at some stage. It is the nature of the beast that these injury problems take time to show themselves. Anyway...to each their own. 

Edited by Coilte