Why become a member? ×

Limelight Precision Bass!!

attackbass

Picking this up next week from Mark! 

Ordered it a few months back on the basis of the great reviews and to be honest completely forgot about it!

I think it's based on a 65 p bass from what I remember, with lake placid blue over white. Not sure what to expect when I first get my hands on it. Hoping it will just feel like a nice, worn p bass that I can continue to add my own character to it as it will no doubt get from use. It certainly looks great! Apparently his camera has made the blue a little more vivid than it actually is.

My trust worthy Fender Jazz 75RI has a neck problem so instead of replacing the neck etc I thought I would retire it (12 years of touring and playing and the frets are gone 20190813_165533.thumb.jpg.f77edb92f0bca11dba1ad8e42c61840a.jpg20190813_165512.thumb.jpg.867690a5c1f40f7886279c10260eae33.jpgand it's done it's job!!) and get a p bass, after looking at fender US basses and playing my brother in law's 70s p bass these limelights looked perfect and incredible value in context to a US fender! 

• Like 9

Picked up the Limelight on Friday afternoon from Mark. 

The bass looks even better in real life, photos do not do justice to the relicing work that Mark does. 

The bass feels incredible, very comfortable and feels like a well used instrument. The rolled fingerboard felt great and just the wear and smoothness of the body made it feel like I had the bass for decades. I mainly play 5 strings or jazz basses so when I started to play it I felt like I had just been given my first bass and couldn't for the life of me think of anything to play! 

The sound... Well obviously it sounds like a P bass! But I have never played a P bass that has sounded so clear and that has resonated so well. Somebody mentioned before that the basses really sing, and they do. I was amazed as I have had bad experience of very dead sounding p basses in the past, especially on the E and A strings. The tone control is really useful, and can surprisingly get a nice range of tones out of the bass, especially when changing hand position. 

Took it on a gig last night, sounded great everything flat... It was a weird gig... And I wasn't able to turn up very loud so didn't get into eq'ing the bass with my amp and I just rolled with it, and the bass sounding good with little EQ really helped me just get on with the gig.

Limelights are really great, having owned US fenders and Laklands etc I would never buy one again. Mark gave me good advice when ordering the bass and that advice has been realised in this great bass. Beyond pleased with it! 

Mark was also a really nice guy, friendly and approachable.. also hope I didn't slightly offend by thinking he was English when we got on to the subject of rugby... I'm Welsh.. didn't expect Mark to be Welsh too! Whoops. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
Just now, hooky_lowdown said:

Go to the limelight website, and email Mark.

Ah so sorry bud, my apologies for being ‘that person’. 

I just never thought the site classicandcoolguitars.co.uk was the place, dummy me!!